The Virginia Tech Athletics Office of Student-Athlete Development supports student development initiatives in an effort to enhance the quality of the student-athlete experience within the university setting. The mission of the Office of Student-Athlete Development is to:
Support efforts of every student-athlete toward intellectual development and graduation.
- Assist student-athletes in using athletics as preparation for success in life.
- Meet the changing needs of student-athletes.
- Promote respect for diversity among student-athletes.
- Enhance interpersonal relationships in the lives of student-athletes.
- Assist student-athletes in building positive self-esteem.
- Enable student-athletes to make meaningful contributions to their communities.
- Promote ownership by the student-athletes of their academic, athletic, personal and social responsibilities.
- Encourage the development of leadership skills.
Inspired by the NCAA Student-Athlete Affairs commitment areas, the Athletics Office of Student-Athlete Development creates programs designed to enhance student-athletes in five areas: athletic excellence, academic excellence, personal and leadership development, and community outreach and career development. The program has been previously honored for its commitment to serving the good of the student-athletes by the Division I-A Athletic Director's Association as a program of excellence.