The main Virginia Tech campus is located in Blacksburg, Va., about 38 miles southwest of Roanoke, Va. Use the intersection of "Southgate Dr. and Duckpond Dr., Blacksburg, VA 24060" as a destination for on-line routing and mapping software. This is the location of the Visitor Information Center. Coordinates for this point are 37° 12' 58"N, 80° 25' 26"W
Learn more based on how you plan to travel to Virginia Tech:
If you need parking information:
- Visit Virginia Tech's Transportation and Parking website.
Detailed information to determine if you need a permit, where to get one, how and where to use it, as well as other parking-related information.
If You're Coming by Car
To reach the campus from Interstate 81 (southbound and northbound):
- Take Exit 118 to reach the exit ramps for all three of the exits at this location. There is only one exit ramp serving the exits; missing the ramp means a trip north to Exit 128 or south to Exit 114 to turn around.
- Take Exit 118B onto U.S. 460 West. This exit connects directly to the Christiansburg Bypass. Follow the signs for Blacksburg/Virginia Tech. The U.S. 460 bypass between Blacksburg and Christiansburg is a limited-access highway from I-81 to the campus entrance at Southgate Drive.
- Watch signs carefully for routes and directions. From the bypass, Bus. U.S. 460 -- South Main Street, exits to the right (take South Main Street as one route to reach downtown Blacksburg). Stay on U.S. 460 West, signed for "Virginia Tech, Bluefield" to continue directly to the university.
- Drive for 2.5 miles on U.S. 460 to the traffic light at VA 314, Southgate Drive. Turn right onto Southgate Drive. There is a campus map a quarter-mile on the right and the Visitor Information Center is a half-mile from U.S. 460 on the right.
- To reach downtown Blacksburg, continue on U.S. 460 for about a mile to the Prices Fork Road exit for "Downtown." At the second traffic light on Prices Fork Road is access to campus via a right turn onto West Campus Drive. Prices Fork Road ends at North Main Street. Turn right onto Main Street to reach downtown proper.
- Roanoke Regional Airport in Roanoke, Va., is served by major domestic airlines.
- The Smart Way Bus offers regularly scheduled service between the airport and Squires Student Center in Blacksburg.
- Roanoke Airport Limousine Service provide transportation between the airport and campus.
- Private planes may land at the Virginia Tech/Montgomery Executive Airport adjacent to campus (telephone: 540-231-4444).
- Train: Several Amtrak stations are located in southern West Virginia (White Sulfur Springs, Alderson, and Hinton). Another station is located in Clifton Forge, Virginia. Lynchburg and Danville are also served by Amtrak.
- Bus: Greyhound Bus Lines serves the Blacksburg area via a stop in Roanoke at the Campbell Court bus station downtown. The Smart Way Bus offers regularly scheduled service between Campbell Court and Squires Student Center in Blacksburg. Greyhound also stops in Wytheville (service to Christiansburg and Pulaski has been discontinued).