Hilton Garden Inn Hokie Invitational Schedule
Friday, Aug. 31
4 p.m. - Harvard vs. MTSU
7 p.m. - Virginia Tech vs. Towson
Saturday, Sept. 1
10:30 a.m. - Towson vs. MTSU
12:30 p.m. - Virginia Tech vs. Harvard
5 p.m. - Harvard vs. Towson
7 p.m. - Virginia Tech vs. MTSU
- The Hokies opened the season at the Tiger Volleyball Invitational last weekend.
- Tech topped Nicholls State, 3-0 before falling to Missouri, 1-3 and #22 Michigan, 2-3.
- Cara Baarendse was named to the All-Tournament team at the Tiger Volleyball Invitational after recording 31 kills, three aces, 15 digs and eight blocks on the weekend. She hit for a percentage of .491.
- Jennifer Wiker tallied 42 kills, averaging 3.5 during the opening weekend while adding 10 blocks and five aces. Victoria Hamsher recorded 11 blocks and 23 kills at the Tiger Invitational.
- Sophomore Jordan Fish is averaging 10.5 assists per set while Morgan O'Neill is averaging 3.92 digs per set.
Scouting the Tigers
- Towson is 5-0 to start the 2012 campaign and were picked to finish fourth in the CAA preseason poll.
- The Tigers return the 2011 CAA Player of the Year, Katy Buck who leads the team already this season with 47 kills (3.13 kps). Marta Machos is adding 2.27 kills per set.
- Aubrey Kirven leads the team with 10.47 assists per set and Paige Sekerak is tallying 3.27 digs per set.
- Tech and Towson have met three times previously including a match in Cassell Coliseum and two neutral site matches. The Tigers hold the 2-1 advantage, but Tech took the last meeting, 3-0 (25-20, 25-18, 25-13) on Sept. 18, 2010 in Charlottesville, Va.
Scouting the Crimson
- Friday's match against Middle Tennessee State marks the season opener for the Crimson, but Harvard returns nine letterwinners from the 2011 squad that finished with an overall record of 12-12.
- Harvard's Taylor Doctor garnered All-Ivy League second team honors last season after averaging 3.05 kills per set. Kristen Casey added 2.71 kps while Teresa Skelly averaged 1.00 blocks per set in 2011.
- This is the first meeting between Virginia Tech and Harvard. The Hokies are 2-2 all-time against teams from the Ivy League.
Scouting the Blue Raiders
- Middle Tennessee State is 1-3 to open the 2012 season.
- The Blue Raiders are being led by Chelsea Ross with 3.6 kills per set while Ashley Adams is adding 3.47 kps.
- Alyssa Ivey and Shelby Anderton have split time at the setter spot averaging 5.13 and 4.6 assists per set, respectively.
- Bri McCombs is tallying 3.73 digs per set while Tyler Richardson is posting 1.14 blocks per set.
- Tech has met MTSU just once before in a neutral site match that dates back to the 1979 season. The Blue Raiders claimed the 2-1 (15-9, 15-2, 15-13) win in Johnson City, Tenn.
For updates on Virginia Tech volleyball, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_VBall).