The Virginia Tech volleyball team will play three matches as part of the High Point University Classic, Sept. 7-8, at the Millis Center in High Point, N.C. On Friday, the Hokies will face Loyola Marymount at 4:30 p.m. During the second day of competition Tech will square off against George Mason in a 1 p.m. match. That evening the Hokies will play host team High Point at 7 p.m.
- The Hokies claimed the team title last weekend when they hosted the Hilton Garden Inn Hokie Invitational.
- Tech topped Towson (3-0), Harvard (3-0) and Middle Tennessee (3-1).
- Samantha Gostling was named the MVP after posting 42 kills, 16 digs and eight blocks on the weekend. Kathryn Caine and Jordan Fish joined her on the All-Tournament team.
- Gostling is leading the team, averaging 3.5 kills per set while Jennifer Wiker is tallying 3.3 kps. Fish is putting up 11.23 assists per set.
- On the defensive side, Victoria Hamsher is recording 1.05 blocks per set and Morgan O'Neill is averaging 4.0 digs per set.
Scouting the Lions
- LMU is 4-2 after picking up wins against UConn, Iona, Cogate and UC Irvine to start the 2012 campaign.
- The Lions are led by Kathleen Luft, averaging 4.05 kills per set while Litara Keil is knocking down 3.05 kps. Hannah Tedrow is averaging 10.85 assists per set.
- Defensively, Keil leads the team with 1.1 blocks per set and Betsi Metter is recording 5.45 digs per set.
- This is the first time the two teams have met and only the second time the Hokies have faced a team in the West Coast Conference. The Hokies are 1-0 against teams from the West Coast Conference, having defeated San Diego 3-0 on Sept. 3, 1988.
Scouting the Patriots
- GMU is 2-5 to start the 2012 season, having picked up wins against UMBC and West Virginia.
- Leading the Patriots is Lana Zonjic with 2.88 kills per set. Laura Spencer is adding 2.04 kills per set.
- On the defensive side, Lolade Owokoniran is tallying a 1.21 blocks per set while Bernetta Moore averages 3.58 digs per set.
- Virginia Tech holds an 11-7 all-time record against the Patriots, but GMU picked up a 3-0 (30-21, 30-26, 30-24) the last time the two teams met on Nov. 11, 2001. Tech is 7-0 against the Patriots in neutral site matches and last defeated GMU on Sept. 21, 1991, 3-1 in Charlottesville, Va.
Scouting the Panthers
- High Point has opened the 2012 season with a 5-3 record including wins against Long Island, Delaware State, Wake Forest, Jacksonville State and UNC Greensboro.
- The Panthers are led by Courtney Johnk with 3.3 kills per set. Chelsea Davis is adding 2.88 kps.
- Maddie Simpson is the primary setter, averaging 9.06 assists per set. Lauren Bell has also seen time in the setter spot and is putting up 9.5 aps.
- Molly Barolow is tallying 4.17 digs per set while Jamie McDonald is posting 1.00 blocks per set on the defensive side.
- Tech is 6-2 all-time against High Point. The two teams last met on Aug. 27, 2011 in Blacksburg where the Hokies claimed a 3-1 (25-16, 24-26, 25-13, 25-12) win against the Panthers. This is the first time the two teams have met in High Point, N.C. HPU last defeated Tech on Oct. 15, 1988.
For updates on Virginia Tech volleyball, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_VBall).