|Virginia Tech (7-3)||25||25||25||3|
BLACKSBURG, Va. - The Virginia Tech volleyball team will open up the ACC portion of the schedule on Friday, Sept. 14, taking on cross-state rival Virginia at 7 p.m. in Memorial Gymnasium on the UVa campus. Tech will remain in Charlottesville for a 1 p.m. match on Saturday against the Big South's Liberty University .
- The Hokies were 2-1 last weekend at the High Point University Classic.
- Tech topped Loyola Marymount (3-2) and George Mason (3-0) before falling to host team High Point (3-1).
- Kathryn Caine was named to the All-Tournament team after recording 32 kills and hitting .490 on the weekend while adding six blocks.
- Jennifer Wiker is leading the team, averaging 3.44 kills per set while Samantha Gostling is tallying 3.32 kps. Jordan Fish is putting up an ACC best 11.47 assists per set.
- On the defensive side, Victoria Hamsher is recording 0.97 blocks per set and Morgan O'Neill is averaging 4.0 digs per set, ranking seventh in the league.
- The Hokies are leading the ACC in team attack percentage with .310 and have three players ranked in the top five for individual percentage with Victoria Hamsher (.461), Kathryn Caine (.446) and Cara Baarendse (.426).
Scouting the Cavaliers
- UVa is coming off a trip to the VCU/Third Degree Sportswear Invitational where the Cavaliers were 1-2 on the weekend, falling to VCU (3-2) and Georgetown (3-0) before securing a win against Appalachian State (3-0).
- The Cavaliers' sophomore Tori Janowski recorded a triple-double against VCU with 22 kills, 17 assists and 16 digs.
- Janowski leads UVa on the season with 3.23 kills per set while Jessica O'Shoney is averaging 2.47. Rachel Gray is tallying 5.38 assists per set with Janowski adding 4.9 aps.
- On the defensive side, Emily Rottman is post 4.43 digs per set and O'Shoney is notching 0.93 blocks per set.
This is the 28th time the two teams have met. Virginia Tech leads the series 17-10 and won the most recent meeting, 3-2 (25-20, 25-22, 21-25, 19-25, 15-9) last season in Charlottesville. Jennifer Wiker led the Hokies with 18 kills while Cara Baarendse added 15. Emily Rottman and Tori Janowski had 12 kills each for UVa.
Tech has won the past five meeetings between the two teams. The Cavaliers' last victory came on Sept. 18, 2009 when UVa secured the 3-1 (29-27, 19-25, 25-22, 11-25) win in Charlottesville.
Scouting the Flames
- Liberty is off to an 8-2 start in 2012 is 2-5 to start the 2012 season, and went 2-1 last weekend at the Kent State Mizuno Classic. The Flames defeated Saint Francis (3-0) and Kent State (3-2) before falling to Marshall (3-0).
- A trio of Flames are averaging over two kills per set to lead the Flames. Caroline Douglas is tallying 2.9 while Ansley Gebben is adding 2.38 kps. Loren Thomas rounds it out with 2.05 kills per set. Jade Craycraft is putting up 8.85 assists per set.
- Defensively, Gabrielle Shipe is averaging 3.62 digs per set and Loren Thomas is notching 1.08 blocks per set.
- The Flames were selected to repeat as Big South Champions in the league's preseason coaches' poll.
Virginia Tech 36-6 all-time record against the Flames, and picked up a 3-0 (25-22, 26-24, 25-18) win the last time the two teams met on Aug. 29, 2009. Liberty's last win against the Hokies was on Oct. 14, 2003 when the Flames claimed a 3-1 (30-19, 27-30, 30-28, 27-30) victory. Tech is 2-1 all-time against the Flames in neutral site matches.
For updates on Virginia Tech volleyball, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_VBall).