BLACKSBURG, Va. – The Virginia Tech volleyball team returns to Cassell Coliseum after a four-match conference road swing to face ACC foes NC State and North Carolina. Tech will host the Wolfpack on Friday, Oct. 12 at 7 p.m. and will play the Tar Heels on Sunday, Oct. 14 at 1 p.m. Both matches will be available on HokieSports.com livestats and for viewing at Hokies All-Access.
- Tech fell to Clemson the last time out. Jennifer Wiker led the Hokies with 17 kills.
- Wiker also added 21 kills against Georgia Tech over the weekend, hitting .383 on the attack against the Yellow Jackets.
- Wiker is leading the Hokies with 3.42 kills per set while Samantha Gostling is adding 3.21. Jordan Fish is notching an ACC-best 11.38 assists per set. In addition, Fish ranks 21st in the NCAA in assists per set.
- On the defensive side, Victoria Hamsher is recording 0.94 blocks per set and Morgan O'Neill is averaging 4.24 digs per set, ranking fifth in the league.
- The Hokies are third in the ACC and 19th in the NCAA in team attack percentage at .276.
Scouting the Wolfpack
- NC State fell to Florida State, 3-0 the last time out. Nikki Glass tallied 13 kills for the Wolfpack.
- Brie Merriweather leads the Wolfpack on the season, averaging 2.71 kills per set. Dariyan Hopper is adding 2.71 kps. Megan Cyr is tallying 10.07 assists per set.
- On the defensive side, Merriweather is posting 0.87 blocks per set and Alston Kearns is notching 3.09 digs per set.
- This is the 26th time the two teams have met. Virginia Tech holds the 17-8 lead in the series, and have won the past 15 meetings. The last win was a 3-2 (22-25, 24-26, 25-21, 26-24, 15-11) decision on Nov. 19, 2011 in Blacksburg. Jennifer Wiker tallied 19 kills for the Hokies and Victoria Hamsher added 16. Dariyan Hopper knocked down 19 kills and Brie Merriweather had 10 for the Wolfpack.
Scouting the Tar Heels
- UNC will face Virginia on Friday, Oct. 12 before traveling to Blacksburg to play the Hokies on Sunday, Oct. 14 at 1 p.m. The Tar Heels fell to Miami 3-1 last weekend. Chaniel Nelson led UNC with 12 kills while Kayla Berringer added 11.
- Emily McGee leads the Tar Heels with 2.85 kills per set and Berringer is adding 3.74 kps with Nelson tallying 2.52 kps. Cora Harms is putting up 9.07 assists per set.
- Defensively, Paige Neuenfeldt is averaging 1.29 blocks per set to rank third in the ACC and Ece Taner is notching 3.95 digs per set.
- Carolina holds the all-time series record at 17-5 and has won three of the past five meetings between the two teams. The Hokies won the last match-up on Nov. 18, 2011 with a 3-1 (25-20, 18-25, 25-20, 25-20) victory at Cassell Coliseum. Jennifer Wiker knocked down 15 kills in the win while Cara Baarendse added 11. UNC’s Kayla Berringer Simmons tallied 15 kills and Emily McGee posted 14.
For updates on Virginia Tech volleyball, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_VBall).