BLACKSBURG, Va. - The Virginia Tech volleyball team will host ACC foes Wake Forest and Duke over the weekend. Tech will face off against Wake on Friday, Oct. 19 at 7 p.m. The match against the Demon Deacons marks the annual "Dig Pink" event for breast cancer awareness. Tech will host Duke Saturday, Oct. 20 in a 6 p.m. match. Both matches will be played in Cassell Coliseum.
- Tech fell to North Carolina, 3-0, the last time out. Jennifer Wiker and Samantha Gostling led the Hokies with 10 kills each.
- In the two-match span, Kathryn Caine knocked down .562 on the attack over the weekend, recording 21 kills and averaging 3.00 kills per set for the Hokies in seven sets. In addition, Caine tallied five blocks on the defensive side. Morgan O’Neill also had solid numbers over the weekend posting 39 digs, tallying 5.57 digs per set.
- Wiker is leading the Hokies with 3.35 kills per set while Gostling is adding 3.20. Jordan Fish is notching an ACC-best 11.41 assists per set. In addition, Fish ranks 17th in the NCAA in assists per set.
- On the defensive side, Victoria Hamsher is recording 0.90 blocks per set and Morgan O'Neill is averaging 4.37 digs per set, ranking fourth in the league.
- The Hokies are third in the ACC and 20th in the NCAA in team attack percentage at .270.
Scouting the Demon Deacons
- Wake Forest defeated Duke, 3-1 the last time out. Andrea Beck tallied 18 kills for the Deacs while Kylie Hargreaves tallied 16.
- Beck leads the Demon Deacons on the season, averaging 3.70 kills per set. Hargreaves is adding 2.37 kps. Danae Rosendall is putting up 10.01 assists per set.
- On the defensive side, Beck is posting 0.73 blocks per set and Megan Miller is notching 4.05 digs per set.
- This is the 37th time the two teams have met. Virginia Tech holds the 25-11 lead in the series. The last win for the Hokies was a 3-2 (27-25, 20-25, 24-26, 25-17, 15-7) decision on Oct. 6, 2011 in Blacksburg. Cara Baarendse tallied 15 kills for the Hokies and Jennifer Wiker added 14. Andrea Beck had 15 kills for the Deacs.
- The Hokies fell to Wake in the last meeting between the two teams on Nov. 4, 2011 in Winston-Salem. Wake Forest held on for the 3-2 (25-21, 24-26, 25-19, 24-26, 15-10) win.
Scouting the Blue Devils
- Duke will face Virginia on Friday, Oct. 19 before traveling to Blacksburg to play the Hokies on Saturday, Oct. 15 at 6 p.m. The Blue Devils fell to Wake 3-0 last weekend. Christina Gray led Duke with 18 kills while Chelsea Cook added 11.
- Emily Sklar leads the Blue Devils with 3.11 kills per set and Jeme Obeime is adding 2.92 kps with Gray tallying 2.52 kps. The Blue Devils have three players averaging 5.5 assists or more per set: Kelsey Williams (7.55), Maggie Deichmeister (6.51) and Christina Vucich (5.88).
- Defensively, Chelsea Cook is averaging 1.15 blocks per set to rank seventh in the ACC and Ali McCurdy is notching a league leading 5.85 digs per set.
- Duke holds the all-time series record at 24-2 and has won three of the past four meetings between the two teams. Duke claimed the last match-up on Nov. 5, 2011 with a 3-1 (25-23, 19-25, 25-16, 25-19) victory in Durham. Cara Baarendse posted 11 kills. Duke's Christina Gray tallied 13 kills.
- The Hokies last win against the Blue Devils was on Oct. 14, 2010 with a 3-1 (25-18, 21-25, 25-20, 25-17) win in Blacksburg.
For updates on Virginia Tech volleyball, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_VBall).