BLACKSBURG, Va. - The Virginia Tech volleyball team takes to the road for a pair of ACC matches against ranked foes. Tech will face No. 24 Miami on Friday, Oct. 26 at 6 p.m. in Coral Gables, Fla. On Sunday, the Hokies will square off against No. 12 Florida State in a 1 p.m. match in Tallahassee, Fla.
vs. Florida State
Live Stats - Link
- Tech downed Duke, 3-1, the last time out. Kathryn Caine tallied 16 kills, hitting .538 on the attack while Victoria Hamsher added 13 kill, hitting .526.
- The Hokies also defeated Wake Forest, 3-1 over the weekend. In the two-match span, Hamsher averaged 3.5 kps and hit .465 on the attack. Caine tallied 2.88 kps on .409 hitting.
- Tech was also strong on the defense, recording 27.5 blocks in the two matches, including a season-high 16.5 against the Blue Devils. Morgan O’Neill had 39 digs, tallying 4.88 digs per set.
- Jennifer Wiker is leading the Hokies with 3.25 kills per set while Samantha Gostling is adding 3.10. Jordan Fish is notching an ACC-best 11.04 assists per set. In addition, Fish ranks 36th in the NCAA in assists per set.
- On the defensive side, Hamsher is recording 0.90 blocks per set and O'Neill is averaging 4.42 digs per set, ranking fourth in the league.
- The Hokies are second in the ACC and 22nd in the NCAA in team attack percentage at .265.
Scouting the Hurricanes
- Miami defeated Georgia Tech, 3-0 the last time out. Three players tallied double-digit kills with Savanah Leaf leading the way with 13. Taylor Hollins and Emani Sims added 11 kills each.
- Hollins leads the Hurricanes on the season, averaging 3.15 kills per set. Alexis Mourning and Alex Johnson are adding 2.65 kps each. Nrithya Sundararaman is putting up 10.82 assists per set to rank second in the ACC.
- On the defensive side, Sims is posting 1.39 blocks per set and Mourning is adding 1.37 bps. The two rank second and third in the ACC, respectively. Ryan Shaffer is notching 4.71 digs per set, ranking second in the league.
- Miami holds the 13-6 all-time lead in the series, but Virginia Tech claimed a 3-0 (25-22, 25-22, 25-22) decision earlier this season on Sept. 23, 2012 in Blacksburg. Samantha Gostling had 11 kills and Cara Baarendse added 10 for the Hokies. Alex Johnson posted 12 kills for the 'Canes with Savanah Leaf tallying 10.
- The Hokies fell to Miami last season in Coral Gables, 3-0 (25-23, 25-16, 25-19).
Scouting the Seminoles
- FSU will face Virginia on Friday, Oct. 26 before hosting the Hokies on Sunday, Oct. 28 at 1 p.m. The Seminoles defeated #11 Florida 3-0 on Wednesday. Fatma Yildirim had 11 kills for FSU.
- Yildirm leads the Seminoles with 2.93 kills per set and Olivera Medic is adding 2.42 kps with Ashley Neff tallying 2.29 kps. FSU splits time in the setter spot with Duygu Duzceler putting up 6.20 assists per set and Sarah Wickstrom tallying 5.47 aps.
- Defensively, Neff is averaging an ACC-best 1.62 blocks per set and Katie Mosher is notching 4.37 digs per set to rank fifth in the ACC.
- FSU holds the all-time series record at 26-3 and has won three of the past four meetings between the two teams, including a tough 3-2 (19-25, 25-19, 22-25, 25-15, 15-11) battle earlier this season on Sept. 21 in Blacksburg. Tech was led by Samantha Gostling and Jennifer Wiker with 13 kills each while Cara Baarendse added 11. Ashley Neff knocked down 16 kills and Marija Milosavljevic added 14 kills and Olivera Medic had 12.
- The Hokies fell to the Seminoles 3-0 (21-25, 23-25, 12-25) last season in Tallahassee. Tech's last win against FSU was a 3-2 (25-15, 27-25, 20-25, 23-25, 15-13) victory in 2010 in Blacksburg.
For updates on Virginia Tech volleyball, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_VBall).