BLACKSBURG, Va. - The Virginia Tech volleyball team will host Boston College on Friday, Nov. 9 at 7 p.m. in Cassell Coliseum. On Saturday, Nov. 10, the Hokies will host Maryland in a 6 p.m. match.
- Tech defeated Georgia Tech 3-1 the last time out. Cara Baarendse tallied 14 kills, hitting .500 on the attack while Samantha Gostling added 10 kills. Morgan O'Neill set a career-high with 30 digs in the match.
- Jennifer Wiker is leading the Hokies with 3.16 kills per set while Samantha Gostling is adding 3.02. Jordan Fish is notching 10.39 assists per set to rank third in the league.
- On the defensive side, LaTasha Samson-Akpan has recorded 40 blocks in 12 matches played, averaging 1.33 per set. O'Neill is averaging 4.46 digs per set, ranking fourth in the league.
- The Hokies are third in the ACC and 31st in the NCAA in team attack percentage at .255.
Scouting the Eagles
- Boston College fell to Wake Forest, 3-1 the last time out. Courtney Castle led the Eagles in kills with 15 while Katty Workman added 11.
- Workman leads the Eagles with 4.06 kills per set, ranking first in the ACC. Castle is adding 3.01 kps. Kellie Barnum and Cagla Sen are putting up 7.82 and 6.84 assists per set, respectively.
- Defensively, Krystle Higgins is averaging 0.99 blocks per set and Franny Hock is notching 3.47 digs per set.
- Virginia Tech holds the 11-6 all-time lead in the series and claimed a 3-0 (25-18, 25-22, 25-22) decision earlier this season on Sept. 30 in Chestnut Hill. Jennifer Wiker had 12 kills, Samantha Gostling added 11 and Kathryn Caine had 10. Katty Workman posted 23 kills for the Eagles with Serenat Yaz tallying 10.
- The Hokies defeated Boston College last season in Blacksburg, 3-0 (25-14, 25-16, 25-17). Wiker had nine kills for Virginia Tech while Krystle Higgins posted eight for the Eagles.
Scouting the Terrapins
- Maryland will face Virginia on Friday, Nov. 9 before traveling to Blacksburg on Saturday, Nov. 10 for a 6 p.m. match. The Terrapins defeated Duke 3-2 last weekend. Mary Cushman had 18 kills while Ashleigh Crutcher knocked down 16 and Emily Fraik tallied 12 for Maryland.
- Crutcher leads the Terrapins with 3.79 kills per set, ranking third in the ACC. Adreene Elliott is adding 2.68 kps. Maryland's Mackenzie Dagostino is recording 5.82 assists per set with Remy McBain putting up 5.60 aps.
- Defensively, Elliott is averaging 1.01 blocks per set and Sarah Harper is notching 3.28 digs per set.
- The all-time series is tied at 9-9. The Hokies won the last meeting between the two teams 3-2 (25-20, 20-25, 22-25, 25-19, 16-14) earlier this season on Sept. 28 in College Park. Virginia Tech was led by Kathryn Caine with 13 kills while Samantha Gostling added 11 and Cara Baarendse recorded 10. Ashleigh Crutcher knocked down 26 kills and Adreene Elliott added 15 for the Terps.
- The Hokies defeated the Terrapins 3-0 (25-12, 25-17, 25-20) last season in Blacksburg. Jennifer Wiker had 16 kills for the Hokies and Mary Cushman posted six for the Terrapins.
For updates on Virginia Tech volleyball, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_VBall).