BLACKSBURG, Va. - The Virginia Tech volleyball team will wrap up the regular season on Friday, Nov. 23 when the Hokies host rival Virginia in a 7 p.m. match at Cassell Coliseum.
- Tech fell to NC State 3-2 the last time out. Samantha Gostling tallied 14 kills, while Victoria Hamsher added 13, hitting .550 on the attack.
- Jennifer Wiker and Gostling are leading the Hokies with 319 kills each this season. Jordan Fish is notching 9.79 assists per set. Allison Munter is putting up 3.85 aps.
- On the defensive side, LaTasha Samson-Akpan has recorded 57 blocks in 16 matches played, averaging 1.27 per set. O'Neill is averaging 4.48 digs per set, ranking third in the league.
- Cara Baarendse just earned her third consecutive nod to the All-ACC volleyball team.
- Tech will recognize seniors Wiker, O'Neill, Baarendse and Liz Trinchere.
Scouting the Cavaliers
- Virginia was defeated by North Carolina, 3-0, the last time out. Jessica O'Shoney and Kayla led the Cavaliers in kills with eight each.
- O'Shoney leads UVA with 2.70 kills per set. Natalie Bausback is adding 2.68 and Sears is averaging 2.38 kps. Tori Janowski is putting up 7.58 assists per set with Rachel Gray notching 3.84 aps.
- Defensively, Morgan Blair is averaging 0.97 blocks per set. Emily Rottman is notching 4.39 digs per set.
- Virginia holds the slight 30-29 all-time lead in the series, but the Hokies claimed a 3-0 (25-23, 25-15, 25-17) decision earlier this season on Sept. 14 in Charlottesville. The Hokies have won the past six meetings between the two teams. Kathryn Caine had 11 kills in the game earlier this season. Samantha Gostling and Jennifer Wiker each added nine. Tori Janowski posted 10 kills for the Cavaliers with Natalie Bausback tallying eight.
- The Hokies also picked up the win last season in Blacksburg winning 3-2 (25-20, 25-22, 21-25, 19-25, 15-9).
For updates on Virginia Tech volleyball, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_VBall).