BLACKSBURG, Va. - The Virginia Tech volleyball team will open the 2013 ACC slate on the road, traveling to face Wake Forest on Friday, Sept. 27 at 6:30 p.m. Tech will remain in North Carolina to play Duke on Saturday, Sept. 28 in a 7:30 p.m. match.
- Tech fell to Louisville in a 3-2 battle the last time out. Victoria Hamsher tallied 18 kills, hitting .654 on the attack. Kathryn Caine added 16 kills and Lindsey Owens tallied 15. Samantha Gostling chipped in 11 on the Hokies' attack.
- Gostling is leading the Hokies with 3.26 kps while Owens is adding 3.13. Hamsher and Caine rank first and second in the ACC in attack percentage with .452 and .370, respectively. Jordan Fish is notching 11.20 assists per set to rank second in the league and 20th in the NCAA.
- Owens has also been strong for the Hokies on the serve, averaging 0.60 aces per set to top the ACC and rank eighth in the nation.
- On the defensive side, LaTasha Samson-Akpan is tallying 1.37 blocks per set, ranking second in the ACC and 25th in the NCAA. Megan Beckwith is averaging 4.00 digs per set.
- The Hokies sit atop the ACC and are 11th in the NCAA in team attack percentage at .296.
Scouting the Demon Deacons
- Wake Forest defeated Campbell, 3-1 the last time out. Three players tallied double-digit kills with Kristin Grissom leading the way with 18. Kylie Hargreaves had 17 and Jazmen Russell added 14.
- Grissom leads the Deacs on the season, averaging 3.31 kills per set. Hargreaves is adding 3.17 kps. Sophia Dodd is putting up 10.00 assists per set.
- On the defensive side, Grissom is posting 1.21 blocks per set and Ashley Rusk is adding 1.14 bps. Megan Miller is notching 4.35 digs per set.
- Virginia Tech holds the 26-11 all-time lead in the series and has won four of the last six meetings between the two teams. The Hokies claimed a 3-1 (23-25, 25-19, 25-22, 25-17) decision last season on Oct. 19, 2012 in Blacksburg. Hamsher had 15 kills for Tech. Grissom posted 12 kills for the Deacs.
- The Hokies fell to Wake, 2-3 (21-25, 26-24, 19-25, 26-24, 10-15) the last time in Winston-Salem on Nov. 4, 2011.
Scouting the Blue Devils
- Duke will host Virginia on Friday, Sept. 27 before the Hokies enter Cameron Indoor Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 28 for a 7:30 p.m. match.
- The Blue Devils defeated Illinois, 3-1 last weekend. Elizabeth Campbell had 23 kills while Jeme Obeime knocked down 16 for the Blue Devils.
- Emily Sklar leads Duke with 3.69 kills per set. Campbell is adding 3.21 kps and Obeime is tacking on 3.20 kps. Maggie Deichmeister is putting up 10.77 aps to rank third in the ACC.
- Defensively, Ali McCurdy 4.54 digs per set, ranking fourth in the ACC while Chelsea Cook is tally 0.89 bps.
- Duke holds the all-time series record at 24-3, but the Hokeis won the last meeting between the two teams 3-1 (25-16, 25-18, 22-25, 25-19) last season on Oct. 20 in Blacksburg. Virginia Tech was led by Caine with 16 kills while Hamsher added 13. Sklar knocked down 14 kills the Blue Devils.
- The Blue Devils picked up the win the last time in Durham, defeating Tech, 3-1 (25-23, 19-25, 25-22, 25-19) on Nov. 5, 2011.
For updates on Virginia Tech volleyball, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_VBall).