BLACKSBURG, Va. – The Virginia Tech volleyball team will host ACC foes Maryland and Pittsburgh, beginning with the Terrapins on Friday, Nov. 29 at 7 p.m. Tech will recognize seniors Samantha Gostling, Victoria Hamsher, Allison Munter and senior manager Corrie Sanders on Saturday, Nov. 30 prior to the 7 p.m. match against Pitt.
Live Stats - Link
▪ Virginia Tech fell to in-state rival Virginia, 3-1, over the weekend.
▪ Kathryn Caine knocked down 17 kills, hitting .393 on the attack. Lindsey Owens added 14 kills for the Hokies and tallied 13 digs for her eighth double-double of the season.
▪ Owens is averaging 2.96 kps while Gostling is notching 2.78 kps to lead Virginia Tech on the season. Hamsher (2.60) and Caine (2.48) are also averaging more than two kills per set. Hamsher is tops in the ACC and ranks 23rd in the NCAA with a hitting percentage of .404. Jordan Fish is putting up 11.14 assists for the offense to rank third in the ACC.
▪ Owens averages 0.42 aces per set to top the ACC and rank 21st in the NCAA standings.
▪ On the defensive side, Samson-Akpan is tallying 1.06 blocks per set. Megan Beckwith is averaging 4.09 digs per set, good for eighth in the league.
Scouting the Terrapins
▪ Maryland dropped a 3-2 decision to North Carolina the last time out.
▪ Ashleigh Crutcher had 25 kills and 12 digs against the Tar Heels, Adreene Elliott tallied 14 kills while Mary Cushman posted 12 kills and tallied 17 digs.
▪ Crutcher is knocking down 3.95 kills per set for the Terrapins on the season while Cushman is adding 3.30 kps. Elliott is posting 2.74 kps. Julia Anderson and Amy Dion are putting up 5.31 and 4.93 assists per set, respectively.
▪ On the defensive side, Ashlyn MacGregor is notching 1.37 blocks per set while Kelsey Hrebenach is notching 1.11 bps. Sarah Harper is recording 4.66 dps to rank second in the ACC.
▪ The series is tied at 10-10. Virginia Tech evened the record earlier this season with a 3-2 win over the Terrapins in College Park, Md.
▪ Four Hokies hit in double-digits with Gostling leading the way with 19 kills. Owens added 15 kills and tallied 19 digs. Hamsher and Caine had 13 and 12 kills, respectively. Maryland was led by Cushman with 19 kills.
Scouting the Panthers
▪ Pitt defeatd NC State, 3-0 over the weekend.
▪ Monica Wignot and Kate Yeazel had 11 kills each. Jessica Wynn added 10 kills for the Panthers.
▪ Wynn leads Pitt with 3.01 kps, while Yeazel is talling 2.91 kps on the season. Lindsey Zitzke is putting up 5.56 assists per set and Jenna Jacobson is notching 4.80 aps.
▪ Defensively, the Panthers' Jenna Potts is averaging 1.19 blocks per set. Delaney Clesen is picking up 3.99 digs per set.
▪ Pittsburgh leads the all-time series, 4-2 and won the match earlier this season, 3-0 in Pittsburgh.
▪ Gostling tallied eight kills for the Hokies with Caine adding six. Wynn led Pitt with 16 kills and Yeazel added 10.
For updates on Virginia Tech volleyball, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_VBall).