BLACKSBURG, Va. - The Virginia Tech women's baksetball team will open the 2012-13 season on Friday, Nov. 9 in a 2 p.m. game against Old Dominion at Cassell Coliseum.
The Hokies return their top four scorers from last season. Monet Tellier led the team, averaging 13.7 points per game. Aerial Wilson added 12.1 points per game and upped her averaged to 13.0 in ACC contests. Alyssa Fenyn added 7.8 ppg and led the team in assists with 88 and steals with 49. Porschia Hadley tallied 5.6 ppg. Virginia Tech is 28-8 all-time in season openers.
The Lady Monarchs
Old Dominion returns seven letterwinners and three starters from last season’s team that finished 11-21. ODU was selected to finish fifth in the preseason CAA poll and guard Ashley Betz-White was named to the honorable mention list for All-CAA preseason accolades. Old Dominion played an exhibition game over the weekend, defeating Elizabeth City State, 70-50. Shae Kelley had 18 points and nine rebounds for the Lady Monarchs.
- The Hokies and Lady Monarchs have a long history dating back to the 1976-77 season. The Lady Monarchs hold a 19-7 lead in the all-time series. The two teams last met during the 2011-12 campaign on Nov. 11. Tech claimed a 77-65 win in Norfolk. This marks the second consecutive year that the two teams have opened the season against each other.
- Monet Tellier dropped in 29 points for the Hokies and pulled down nine rebounds, handed out four assists and grabbed three steals in the win. Aerial Wilson added 16 points, four assists and three steals.
- Ashley Betz-White had 22 points for the Lady Monarchs.
- The two teams last met in Blacksburg on November 22, 2005 when the Hokies secured a 76-69 decision against ODU.
- The Monarchs’ last win against the Hokies was November 27, 2004 when ODU defeated Tech 87-56 in Norfolk, Va.
Virginia Tech will host Appalachian State on Wednesday, November 14 at 7 p.m. in Cassell Coliseum.
For updates on Virginia Tech women's basketball, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WBBall).