BLACKSBURG, Va. - The Virginia Tech women's basketball team will host Southern Conference opponent Appalachian State on Wednesday, Nov. 14 in a 7 p.m. game at Cassell Coliseum.
- The Hokies are 11-2 all-time against the Mountaineers. The two teams last met during the 1999-2000 season. Tech defeated Appalachian State 75-55 in Cassell Coliseum.
- Tech has won the past three meetings between the two teams.
- Virginia Tech is 26-2 all-time against teams from the Southern Conference. The Hokies last faced a SoCon team in 2010 when they defeated Wofford (93-53) and Elon (73-66).
- Virginia Tech fell to Old Dominion in the season opener.
- The Hokies were led by juniors Porschia Hadley and Nia Evans with eight points each. Monet Tellier pulled down a team-high nine rebounds. Alyssa Fenyn handed out three assists, while recording six points, five rebounds and a blocked shot.
- Four newcomers made their Division I debut as Taijah Campbell, Lauren Evans, Alex Kiss-Rusk and Alexis Lloyd took the floor for the first time in the Virginia Tech uniform. Campbell also recorded her first career start.
- Appalachian State defeated Lees-McRae, 91-54, in the season opener.
- Courtney Freeman led four players in double-digits with 22 points for the Mountaineers. Anna Freeman added 18 and Maryah Sydnor tallied 15 points and eight rebounds. Kelsey Sharkey rounded out the double-digit scoring with 12 points while grabbing eight boards. MIchelle Taylor dished out five assists and picked up three steals.
- The Mountaineers return eight letterwinners and four starters from last season’s team that finished 27-7 and tied for first place in the Southern Conference, earning a trip to the WNIT.
Virginia Tech will head to Michigan State for the team’s first road contest of the 2012-13 season. Game time is set for 4 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 18 in East Lansing, Mich.
For updates on Virginia Tech women's basketball, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WBBall).