EAST LANSING, Mich. - The Virginia Tech women's basketball team takes its first road trip of the 2012-13 season to face Michigan State on Sunday, Nov. 18 in a 4 p.m. game at the Breslin Center in East Lansing, Mich.
- The Hokies are 2-0 all-time against the Spartans. The two teams last met during the 2000-01 season. Tech defeated Michgan State 63-61 in Tallahassee, Fla. as part of the Tallahassee Democrat Classic.
- This will be the first time the two teams have met on either’s home court. Virginia Tech and Michigan State have met twice at neutral sites. The Hokies also picked up the win against the Spartans in 1994, defeating MSU 63-61 in the San Juan Shootout in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Virginia Tech trails 13-6 all-time against teams from the Big Ten. The Hokies faced three teams last season from the Big Ten (Minnesota, Iowa and Penn State). This season Tech will also play Wisconsin as part of the ACC/BigTen Challenge and will host Penn State.
The Hokies (1-1)
- Virginia Tech defeated Appalachian State, 71-68 the last time out.
- The Hokies were led by Alyssa Fenyn with 13 points to pace four Virginia Tech players in double-digits. Fenyn also handed out nine assists. Monet Tellier added 12 points, six rebounds and three steals. Freshman Taijah Campbell tallied 11 points, eight boards and two blocks. Porschia Hadley knocked down 10 points, including the go-ahead basket in the final minute.
- Fenyn is averaging 9.5 points per game over the two game span while Hadley is averaging 9.0. Campbell is pulling down 7.5 boards per game.
The Spartans (2-0)
- Michigan State defeated Eastern Michigan, 60-49, in the Spartans’ last game.
- Klarissa Bell had 20 points for the Spartans. Jasmine Thomas added 13 points while dishing out seven assists. Becca Mills grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds and tallied five blocks.
- Michigan State returns two starters from last season’s team that finished 20-10 and earned the program’s fourth consecutive bid to the NCAA Tournament.
- Bell is putting up 19.5 points per game in the Spartans first two with Annalise Pickrel adding 13.5. MIlls is grabbing 8.5 rebounds per game.
Virginia Tech will return home to host George Washington on Sunday, Nov. 25 at Cassell Coliseum. Game time is set for 3 p.m.
For updates on Virginia Tech women's basketball, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WBBall).