|Virginia Tech (7-5)||10||45||55|
BLACKSBURG, Va. - The Virginia Tech women's basketball team will host Hampton on Sunday, Dec. 30 in a 2 p.m. game at Cassell Coliseum.
Radio: 100.7 FM WNMX
Talent: Mike Lefko, play-by-play
Live Stats: Link
Live Video: Link
Game Notes: Link
- Virginia Tech and Hampton have met three times in program history, with the Hokies holding a 3-0 lead in the series. In the last meeting between the two teams, Tech claimed a 83-43 win on Dec. 29, 2001 in Blacksburg.
- This is the second of two consecutive games for the Hokies against teams from the MEAC.
- Virginia Tech is 17-3 all-time against teams from the MEAC.
- Virginia Tech defeated N.C. A&T 58-39 the last time out.
- The Hokies were led by three players in double-digits. Uju Ugoka had a strong second game for Tech, recording her first career double-double with 10 points and 12 rebounds while picking up three steals. Monet Tellier added 12 points, seven rebounds and five assists. Alyssa Fenyn dropped in 12 points for the Hokies.
- Tellier has been solid for the Hokies all season, averaging 12.7 points, 6.5 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game. Fenyn is adding 8.0 ppg and handing out 3.7 apg. Taijah Campbell is posting 6.2 ppg while recording 6.3 rpg and posting 1.3 blocks per game. Ugoka has put up 38 points in her first two games for Tech, averaging 19.0 points and 10.0 rebounds.
The Lady Pirates
- Hampton defeated Saint Peter’s, 62-40 in the team’s last game on Dec. 27.
- Alyssa Bennett recorded a double-double for the Lady Pirates with 13 points and 13 rebounds while tallying three steals. Keiara Avant added 14 points and Nicole Hamilton posted 10 points and seven assists.
- Avant leads Hampton on the season, averaging 15.1 points and 9.1 rebounds per game. Hamilton is adding 11.1 ppg and 5.2 assists per game.
- Hampton has had wins this season against Mississippi State (56-48) and LSU (67-58). Hampton and Tech both faced FGCU this season, the Lady Pirates fell to the Eagles, 70-59.
Up Next: Virginia Tech will take to the road to start the bulk of the ACC schedule. The Hokies will travel to in-state rival Virginia on Thursday, Jan. 3, 2013 for a 7 p.m. game at John Paul Jones Arena.
For updates on Virginia Tech women's basketball, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WBBall).