|Virginia Tech (7-7, 1-2 ACC)||22||23||45|
|(15) North Carolina (15-1, 3-0 ACC)||22||26||48|
BLACKSBURG, Va. - The Virginia Tech women's basketball will face ACC foe No. 15/23 North Carolina in a road game on Sunday, Jan. 6. Game time is slated for 2 p.m. at Carmichael Arena in Chapel Hill N.C.
Date/Time: January 6, 2013/2 p.m.
Opponent: No. 15/23 North Carolina
Site: Chapel Hill, N.C. (Carmichael Arena)
Radio: 100.7 FM WNMX
Talent: Andrew Allegretta, play-by-play
Live Stats: Link
Live Video: Link
Game Notes: Link
- This marks the 18th meeting between the two teams.
- North Carolina holds the all-time series recrod at 14-3.
- The Hokies last defeated the Tar Heels on January 14, 2010, 79-64 in Blacksburg. The Tar Heels were ranked No. 10 at the time. Alyssa Fenyn and Porshia Hadley both saw time in the game. Fenyn tallied 10 points while Hadley had three points, four rebounds and four blocks.
- Carolina won last season’s game, 82-73 in Blacksburg. Monet Tellier had 16 points for Tech. Brittany Rountree had 17 for the Heels.
- Virginia Tech put together a late rally, but was edged by Virginia 52-48 the last time out.
- The Hokies were led by Monet Tellier with a game-high 20 points, four rebounds and six assists. Uju Ugoka added 16 points and six rebounds for Tech.
- Tellier has been solid for the Hokies all season, averaging 13.4 points, 6.2 rebounds and 3.6 assists per game. Ugoka is averaging 18.0 points and 8.7 rebounds in three games played for the Hokies. Alyssa Fenyn is adding 7.8 ppg and handing out 3.5 apg. Taijah Campbell is posting 6.0 ppg while recording 5.9 rpg and posting 1.3 blocks per game.
The Tar Heels
- North Carolina defeated No. 8 Maryland, 60-57 in the team’s last game.
- Three players hit double-digits for the Heels with Tierra Ruffin-Pratt and Brittany Rountree tallying 13 points each. Waltiea Rolle added 12 points and pulled down nine rebounds. Ruffin-Pratt handed out five assists.
- Ruffin-Pratt leads the Tar Heels with 14.4 points per game while handing out 4.1 assists per game and picking up 3.0 steals per game. Xylina McDaniel is adding 12.6 ppg and grabbing 8.3 rebounds per game. Rolle is posting 12.2 ppg and averages 2.6 blocks per game. Krista Gross leads the Heels on the boards, averaging 9.9 rebounds per game.
Up Next: Virginia Tech will return to Cassell Coliseum to host Boston College Thursday, Jan. 10 in a 7 p.m. game.
For updates on Virginia Tech women's basketball, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WBBall).