BLACKSBURG, Va. - The Virginia Tech women's basketball team will host No. 16/17 North Carolina on Friday, Feb. 22 in Cassell Coliseum. Game time is set for 8:35 p.m. and will be broadcast on RSN television network.
Date/Time: February 22, 2013/8:35 p.m.
Opponent: #16/17 North Carolina
Site: Blacksburg, Va. (Cassell Coliseum)
Radio: 100.7 FM WNMX
Talent: Andrew Allegretta, play-by-play
TV: RSN - Full TV Listings
Talent: Tom Werme, play-by-play and Christy Winters Scott, color analyst
Live Stats: Link
Live Video: ESPN3
- This marks the 19th meeting between the two teams.
- North Carolina holds the lead in the all-time series at 15-3. The Hokies 2-4 against the Tar Heels at Cassell Coliseum.
- The Tar Heels claimed the win earlier this season in Chapel Hill, holding off the Hokies for a 48-45 decision at Carmichael Arena. Uju Ugoka had 15 points and pulled down five rebounds for the Hokies. Monet Tellier added 12 points. Xylina McDaniel and Tierra Ruffin-Pratt had 14 points each for UNC. McDaniel also grabbed eight rebounds and picked up five steals.
- Virginia Tech fell to Clemson, 51-46, the last time out.
- The Hokies were led by Monet Tellier who recorded 20 points, marking her fifth 20+ point game of the season. Lauren Evans added 10 points. Alyssa Fenyn added eight points, grabbed nine rebounds, handed out five assists and scooped up four steals.
- Tellier has been solid for the Hokies all season, averaging 12.9 points, 5.6 rebounds and 2.8 assists per game. Uju Ugoka is adding 12.3 points and pulling down a team-best 8.8 rebounds in 12 games played for the Hokies. Fenyn is adding 6.2 ppg and handing out 2.8 apg.
The Tar Heels
- North Carolina fell to No. 19 Florida State, 80-73 in the team’s last outing.
- Xylina McDaniel posted 25 points for the Tar Heels while Tierra Ruffin-Pratt added 14 points and handed out four assists. Krista Gross pulled down a game-high 11 rebounds.
- Ruffin-Pratt leads UNC on the season with 14.1 points and 4.4 assists per game. McDaniel is adding 13.0 ppg and pulling down 7.3 rebounds per game. Waltiea Rolle is notching 11.0 ppg. Gross leads the team on the b-oards with 8.6 rpg.
Up Next: Virginia Tech will remain at home to host Florida State on Sunday, Feb. 24. Game time is set for 1 p.m. at Cassell Coliseum.
For updates on Virginia Tech women's basketball, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WBBall).