BLACKSBURG – Virginia Tech wrestling fans will get a sneak peak at the 2014-15 squad Saturday as the team will participate in the new Hokie Village, an outdoor festival that will give fans the opportunity to come to Blacksburg on home football game days and provide them with free pregame entertainment.
The Hokie Village will open 3.5 hours before kickoff and stays open up to 45 minutes before game time. The Village will be held on the turf soccer practice field and can be accessed by both the Spring Road gate entrance and the Thompson Field entrance.
The debut of Hokie Village will take place on Aug. 30 as the Hokies play host to William & Mary in the season opener. With kickoff slated for 4 p.m., Hokie Village will open at 12:30 p.m. and will close at 3:15 p.m.
In addition to inflatables, tailgating games, concessions, campus displays and game sponsors on site, Hokie Village will also feature the following next Saturday:
• The nationally ranked Virginia Tech wrestling team will hold an open sparring session from 1-2:15 p.m.
• Skipper, Tech’s military cannon, will open the festival with a cannon blast
• DJ TMMPO will be in the DJ booth
• The University Bookstore will be on hand
• The Virginia Tech Spirit Squad will sign posters from 12:30-1:30 p.m., and will then mingle with fans in Hokie Village after the team walk at 2 p.m.
• The Virginia Tech women’s basketball team will sign autographs at 2:15 p.m.
• An appearance by the HokieBird
For updates on Virginia Tech wrestling, follow the Hokies on Twitter Follow @VT_Wrestling