Hokies Fall At Seton Hall In Double Overtime
Pirates score tying goal as time expires in regulaton
October 5, 2003

SOUTH ORANGE, N.J. - The Virginia Tech women's soccer team couldn't hold onto a 3-0 lead Sunday afternoon at Seton Hall (SHU), and the Pirates rallied to defeat the visiting Hokies 4-3 in double-overtime in a BIG EAST non-standings match. Virginia Tech fell to 6-5-0, while Seton Hall moved to 3-7-1.

The Hokies appeared ready to seal their seventh victory, but the Pirates battled all the way back and scored the game-tying goal as time expired in regulation to send the match into overtime. Seton Hall's Rita Massot netted the game-winning goal at 103:14 in the second overtime period, much to the disappointment of the Hokies.

Virginia Tech kicked off the match in control and held a 3-0 lead late into the second half. Sophomore Shannon Poach scored her first goal of the season at 23:32 to put the Hokies on top 1-0. Virginia Tech nursed the one-goal lead through halftime before senior Kathy Holdsworth scored her team-leading seventh goal at 56:32. Senior Jessica Myers, who has scored in five consecutive matches now, notched the assist on the play, her sixth of the year.

Freshman Lauren Eaton then put the Hokies up 3-0 with a goal at 62:53 after an assist from Myers. However, Seton Hall's Carly Piagentini ruined the shutout bid with a goal at 72:52. Jocelyn Demarsq brought the Pirates to within one, at 3-2, with a penalty kick goal at 79:02, and Piagentini tied the match with a header off a free kick as time expired in regulation. Neither team mustered a shot in the first OT period, and then Massot won the game in the 103rd minute as she found herself on a breakaway. She took one shot, but Hokie keeper Natasha Dirda saved it. However, the ball ricocheted back to Massot, who slammed it to the back of the net from six yards out.

For the match, Virginia Tech had 16 shots, while SHU notched 14. Hokie keeper Mallory Soldner started and played 86 minutes with four saves registered. She allowed two goals, while Dirda allowed two. The Hokies' next action is scheduled for Wednesday, Oct. 8, when they travel to Radford for a 4 p.m. match.