Hokies and Terrapins end in scoreless draw
Tech ties season high in shots, taking 24 against Maryland
October 20, 2006

Box Score Virginia Tech 0, Maryland 0
BLACKSBURG, Va. - The Virginia Tech women's soccer team launched 24 shots on the Maryland Terrapins, Friday, Oct. 20, at the Virginia Tech Soccer Stadium. Although the number of shots tied the season high, Tech was unable to convert and the game ended 0-0. Maryland is now 4-8-4 overall and 0-5-3 in the ACC, while Tech is 5-8-3 and 1-6-2.

"I'm really proud of our team in creating the amount of chances that we did," Tech head coach, Kelly Cagle, said. "At the end of the day it came down to finishing our chances. We played some of the best soccer we've played all year, in terms of our possession and in terms of quality of the attack. But it's really just final third decisions that kept us from getting the win tonight."

Tech had the best two chances to score during the first half of action. Freshman Julian Johnson received a cross at where she was unmarked at the top of Maryland's box. She unleashed her shot out of reach of the diving Terrapins' keeper Nikki Resnick, but the shot bounced off the post. Fifteen minutes later, it was junior co-captain Heather Hallberg who had the shot off the post. Hallberg converted a rebound for the shot.

The first half ended with Tech barely edging Maryland in shots, 6-5, while the Hokies were the only team to take a corner during the stanza. Resnick was forced to make three saves, while Tech's Ashley Owens made two.

Tech stepped up offensively in the second half. The team logged 10 shots in the 45-minute span, including three shots on goal. The Hokies had two more corner kicks, while limiting the Terrapins to three shots, only one of which was on goal. Neither team was able to convert, forcing the game into extra time.

Both teams came out strong in the first overtime period, with each keeper having to make diving saves to prevent a golden-goal victory for the other team. Owens had the first huge save of the third period of play, when Maryland's Kelly Rozumalski took a shot at the far post at the 95:38 mark. Owens leapt across the goalmouth to make a fingertip save that forced the ball out of bounds. Roughly two and a half minutes later, Resnick made an almost identical fingertip save on a shot from Tech's Laurie Beth Puglisi.

At the end of the first overtime period, Tech had notched five shots to Maryland's two, while Resnick had made three saves to Owens' one save. Each team recorded a corner kick during the period.

In the second OT, it was the last minute of play that Tech dominated the playing field. With most of the team in the box for throw-ins, Tech's Mary Elizabeth Newton registered a shot that was blocked, and Puglisi picked up the bounce and shot it just wide of the net.

The game ended with Tech taking 24 shots, tying the season high they set against Radford on Aug. 27. Maryland had 11 shots. Resnick made nine saves, to Owens' five for the game. Tech led in corner kicks, 4-1.

For the Hokies, it was Puglisi who had the most shots and shots on goal with five and three, respectively. Johnson and Robin Chidester were next in line with four shots apiece.

"I'm proud of our team's effort," Cagle said. "I think if we create more chances like that through the end of this year and years to come, we'll win more games."

The Hokies host Boston College Sunday at 1 p.m. at Tech Soccer Stadium for the last ACC match-up for the season.