Tech ties No. 24 Boston College 3-3 with last-second goal
Ashley Kinser recorded her first career goal with nine seconds left to tie the game
October 22, 2006

Box Score Virginia Tech 3, Boston College 3
BLACKSBURG, Va. - Junior Ashley Kinser took a shot on a relatively open net with nine seconds left against Boston College to tie the game 3-3 and send it into overtime, Sunday. Neither team scored in the two overtime periods, ending the game in a draw. Boston College is now 10-5-3 overall and 4-3-2 in the ACC, while Tech is 5-8-4, and 1-6-3.

"I thanked our team at the end of the game for letting me be part of a great soccer memory," Tech head coach, Kelly Cagle, said. "That's what playing the game is about: being able to play an entire 90 minutes. Playing hard, sticking to our plan and ultimately getting a result. It's not a win, but it's a result that we can be really proud of in a fashion that we need to attach ourselves to more often."

Tech came out strong, when six minutes into the game the Hokies took the 2-0 lead, scoring two in a thirty second span. Mary Elizabeth Newton notched the first goal for Tech, drilling a shot behind the Eagles' Sarah Buonomo. Julian Johnson earned her 12th assist of the season on the goal. Exactly 35 seconds later, Robin Chidester took a shot from about three yards out, to give the Hokies two over BC.

Boston College rallied back, matching the Hokies goal for goal in the next twenty minutes of the half. Gina DiMartino was first on the board for the Eagles, with an assist going to Kia McNeill, when she took a shot from the middle of Tech's goal box. McNeill had her own goal at the 26:33 mark, to tie the game up.

The first half ended with Tech having the edge in corner kicks, 4-2, and saves, 2-1. Boston College led in shots 10-8.

The second half remained scoreless until Kelly Henderson converted a quick pass from DiMartino to give the Eagles' the 3-2 lead. The score remained the same until there was nine seconds left in regulation, when Kinser put a rebound from Laurie Beth Puglisi's shot into a net that was free of BC players for the tie.

The second period ended with Tech and BC even in corners with five, while the Eagles had the edge in shots, 6-5. Tech's keeper Mallory Soldner had two saves over BC's one.

The first overtime period remained scoreless, although Tech was the only team to register any shots, taking four. One of the shots forced Buonomo to make a save. The second overtime period also ended scoreless, with each team taking one shot.

Nine Hokies players registered a shot during the game, with Puglisi taking the most with four. Ashley Kinser and Erin Moore had the most shots on goal with two a piece. Tech's Ashley Owens and Soldner split time in the net, with Owens recording two saves to Soldner's three.

All three goals for the Hokies were the first of the season for the players, while Kinser's and Chidester's also were career firsts.

"Our team needs to be proud of the way we started and finished this game," Cagle said. "We started faster than we ever have and finished better than we ever have. Putting beginnings and ends together like that makes a big difference. I've never been more proud of our program since I've been here."

Tech returns to action, Friday, Oct. 27, for the final game of the season. The Hokies host East Tennessee State at 7 p.m., with Senior Night taking place prior to kickoff.