Tech, Clemson end in scoreless draw
Mallory Soldner makes three saves and doesn't allow a Tiger goal
October 5, 2006

Box Score Virginia Tech 0, Clemson 0
BLACKSBURG, Va. - The Virginia Tech women's soccer team drew a 0-0 decision against Atlantic Coast Conference opponent, Clemson, Thursday at the Virginia Tech Soccer Stadium. Tech is now 5-5-2 overall and 1-3-1 in the conference. Clemson is 6-6-1 overall and 1-2-1 in the conference.

"Up until tonight, our team was 0-2 against Clemson, so I think this is a step in the right direction," Tech head coach Kelly Cagle said. "I thought our team played awesome from the second half through overtime. I'm really proud of their effort, and their fight and their organization."

The game was delayed for 35 minutes due to weather, prior to the start, and the rain continued for most of the game as the teams squared off. The first half was evenly matched, with most of the action taking place in the middle of the field. Neither team registered a shot in the first 24 minutes. It was Tech's Julian Johnson that made the first attempt at the net, forcing Clemson's Ashley Phillips to make her first save of the match.

The best chance of the half came for the Hokies in the 31st minute of play. Johnson forced a turnover and found an open slot heading towards midfield. When the Tiger's defense came upon her, she knocked the ball up to a racing Kylie Stankovics who ran past the defense, leaving her one on one against Phillips. Phillips made a diving safe in her box, preventing the Hokie shot.

The half ended with Tech taking three shots and limiting Clemson to one shot. Phillips had two saves, to Tech's Mallory Soldner's one save.

The rain let up for a bit in the second half, as Tech and Clemson once again fought for the middle of the field. It was Clemson that had the best chance of the half, when Lia Schendel saw an open Christy Barrow standing on the far side of Tech's box. Hokie Gina Om stepped up to prevent the play with a diving header.

The period ended scoreless, forcing the game into overtime. Tech once again had the edge in shots in the second half, taking four, while Clemson had three. Phillips had two saves, while Soldner did not have to make one.

In the first overtime period, Tech's Ashley Kinser had a diving header on goal with less than a minute left to play for the Hokie's chance at the golden goal. The shot went just high of the net and the first OT kept the game at a draw, with each team registering a shot on goal.

The second overtime period ended much the same way, with Clemson taking two shots on goal. The game ended tied, with Tech taking away eight shots to Clemson's seven. Phillips made four saves, to Soldner's three. For the Hokies, Johnson and Stankovics each took three shots during the game.

"We need to learn to put our chances away and we'll get better results in this conference," Cagle said. "I would also like to see us close our games a little better. The last five minutes tonight were a little hairy. Overall, I am very, very pleased. I still believe if we continue to fight like this, stay organized and play with one another, that we can compete against anybody in the last half of our season."

Tech next hosts NC State, Sunday, at 1 p.m. at Tech Soccer Stadium.