Hokies, Greyhounds play to a draw
Puglisi's first goal of the season helps Tech tie Loyola 1-1
September 9, 2007

Box Score Virginia Tech - 1, Loyola (Md.) - 1
BLACKSBURG, Va. - Junior Laurie Beth Puglisi scored her first goal of the season while redshirt-junior Ashley Owens made five saves as the Virginia Tech women's soccer team played to a 1-1 tie with Loyola (Md.) Sunday afternoon at the Tech Soccer Stadium during the Hawthorn Suites Hokie Invitational.

Tech's (2-1-1) draw is the first of season and comes two days following the thrilling 2-1 victory over No. 13 Tennessee on the first day of the tournament. The women out shot the Greyhounds (1-2-1) 25-8 during Sunday's game.

However, Lea Day's goal at the 56th minute and another strong performance from goalie Brittany Henderson prevented the Hokies from winning a second straight game. Henderson ended the game with 10 saves after making nine against No. 24 Wake Forest in a 2-1 victory on Friday.

"I think it's a pretty decent weekend for us," Head Coach Kelly Cagle said. "I think Friday night was an awesome night for our program in general. Tonight doesn't leave as bad of a taste in my mouth as last Sunday did in terms of at least the way we started and how hard we played. But I thought we got outplayed in the first 10-15 minutes of the second half, and I think that dictated how the rest of the game went."

The Hokies first got on the board when Puglisi (Arlington, Va.) from several yards out headed a cross from Robin Chidester (Virginia Beach, Va.) inside the left far post for the 1-0 lead in the 23rd minute. Puglisi led the team with six shots, three on goal.

"It was a big time goal for us," Cagle said. "Great cross from Robin and awesome execution on LB's part."

After the Greyhounds' score to tie the game, the Hokies rebounded and continued to apply pressure both offensively and defensively but were unable to convert any of their seven shots in the second half.

In the overtime periods, Owens (Greensboro, N.C.) was never put to the test as Loyola did not attempt a single shot, while Tech took nine, the last two coming in the last minute of the game on a strong header by Puglisi that was saved by Henderson and on a shot by Chidester that just went wide.

"We regained some of the momentum after the beginning of the second half and had a lot of chances at the end," Cagle said. "It's just putting 90 minutes together and being able to rely on being able to give some of our teammates some rest and putting some players in. I think some of those players maybe need to represent their time just a little bit better, but that's a process as well.

"I think the best thing about this game is we protected the tie," Cagle added. "We defended well at the end and had some chances to score."

The Hokies next hit the road, playing at George Mason on Friday, Sept. 14, at 7 p.m., before coming back home to host Elon on Sunday, Sept. 16 at 1 p.m.