Flesch scores late goal to push Hokies past Arizona 1-0
Owens records four saves in her third shutout of the season
September 21, 2007

Box Score Virginia Tech - 1, Arizona - 0
TUCSON, Ariz. - In Virginia Tech's first-ever visit out west, the Hokies used a late goal by freshman Meghan Flesch and another strong performance by goalkeeper Ashley Owens to shut out the Arizona Wildcats 1-0 in front of 919 fans Friday night at Murphey Stadium.

The victory gives Tech (4-2-1) its first two-game winning streak and third shutout of the season, while Arizona drops to 4-3 after the loss. This was the Wildcats' first match at home since they defeated then-No. 4 Texas 2-0 two weeks prior.

"It's a critical win for our program, to travel across the country and play against a conference we've never faced before just to see where we were," Head Coach Kelly Cagle said. "I think the game was pretty even throughout. Our kids played very hard, and this game will help us going into the ACC schedule."

Despite being out shot 9-4 in the game, the Hokies had the only one that counted. It was the substitutes that made the difference for the team after battling to a scoreless tie for the first 82 minutes. Flesch (Manassas, Va.) scored her first career goal off an assist from Mauri Liberati (Warwick, Md.) after coming onto the field less than one minute before the score. Liberati herself substituted into the game just eight minutes prior to record her second assist of the season.

"Meghan was in only a minute before she scored," Cagle said. "It's great to see because it shows we have the depth. Meghan has come in and impacted us more and more every day. Mauri also did a good job coming into the game. It's just depth we've never had before. The subs we made helped change the game in our favor."

In the first half, neither offense could get into a groove as both teams combined for a total of five shots. Marika Gray (Alexandria, Va.) had the only two shots, both on goal, for the Hokies. That trend continued until Flesch's game-winning goal.

"We talked at halftime about how the game would come down to only a couple of chances for both teams," Cagle said. "It was that close of a game. They had the better run at the beginning of the second half, but our kids played really hard and we defended really well as a team."

Ashley Owens (Greensboro, N.C.) ended the night with four saves in the victory to move into sole possession of fifth-place in the Hokie record book for shutouts with five total, while Arizona's Danielle Nicolai recorded two saves.

The Hokies will now travel back home and have a week to prepare for its first ACC game of the year. Tech visits Wake Forest on Thursday, Sept. 27, at 7 p.m.