Johnson scores golden goal in 2-1 OT victory over Maryland
Hokies keep ACC Tournament hopes alive with key road win
October 28, 2007

Box Score Virginia Tech - 2, Maryland - 1 (OT)
COLLEGE PARK, Md. - For the first time since the Hokies opened Virginia Tech Soccer Stadium in 2003 with an overtime win over American University, the women's soccer team recorded a golden goal off Julian Johnson's foot in the 94th minute in a thrilling come-from-behind 2-1 victory over Maryland in front of 1,011 fans Sunday night at Ludwig Field.

The win inches the Hokies closer to .500 at 6-7-3 overall and keeps Tech alive for an ACC Tournament berth with eight points off a 2-5-2 conference record. The Terrapins fall to 5-8-3 and 0-7-1 in league play.

Currently, Tech is within reach of Boston College (11 pts.), Duke (10 pts.) and Clemson (8 pts.) for a trip to Disney World. However, those three schools have two conference games remaining. As a result of only having Boston College left, Tech will need help from those teams' opponents and a win over Boston College to earn a tournament berth.

Tech's two ACC wins and eight points with one game remaining are the most in a season since finishing with a 4-5 record and 12 points in 2004. Also, the come-from-behind victory was Tech's first since defeating Wake Forest 3-2 in 2004.

The game proved to be one of firsts for many Hokies as Johnson (Norfolk, Va.) recorded her first career game-winning goal and Marika Gray (Alexandria, Va.) recorded her first two career assists.

Adding to the list, Emily Jukich (Clifton, Va.) scored her first goal of the season to tie the game up in the 60th minute, and Robin Chidester (Virginia Beach, Va.) posted four saves for the first time ever in a regular season game as a substitute goalkeeper for Ashley Owens (Greensboro, N.C.), who was injured early in the first half.

Maryland's Aimee Bresani attempted a shot at 7:34 in the first half that was saved by one of the Hokie defenders. However, during the scramble, Owens collided with the Terps' Annesia Faulkner, and both had to come off the field.

New goalie Mallory Kimsey (Palm Harbor, Fla.) got an unlucky break at 14:03 as Ashly Kennedy served in a pass from 40 yards out off a free kick that went off Nataly Arias' hip into the left corner for the 1-0 lead.

The Hokies' forward Chidester, who had played every position in high school, recorded two saves against Vanderbilt in an exhibition earlier this year. She substituted into the game at the 16:17 mark and held Maryland scoreless the rest of the game.

At the half, the Terrapins had a 7-6 lead in shots, but the Hokies took control in the second half, applying pressure throughout on goalkeeper Mary Casey.

Jukich broke through at 59:45 to tie the game off a shot by Julian Johnson that was originally saved by a diving Casey. Gray sent a cross to put Johnson in position and as a result also received an assist on the play.

After the goal, Gray would have three shot attempts before the period would expire with one going wide, another hitting the crossbar and the final one being saved by Casey in the 87th minute. Chidester would make an impressive save of her own a minute later to preserve the 1-1 tie.

Carrying the momentum from the second half, the Hokies did not need much time to get the win as Johnson attempted the only shot of the overtime for either team as she kicked the ball into the left-center portion of the goal off a cross from Gray at 93:14.

Tech finished with a 19-16 edge in shots. Chidester finished with four of Tech's five saves, while Casey posted seven for the Terrapins.

The Hokies will conclude the regular season this week with a trip to Longwood in Farmville, Va., for a 7 p.m. start time on Thursday before hosting Boston College on Sunday at 1 p.m.