October 3, 2010
Tech stuns No. 7 Maryland, 1-0
Colpitts makes five saves, Hokies hand Terps first loss of the year.
(7) Maryland (9-1-1) 000
Virginia Tech (7-5-0) 011
  • Thompson Field - 409

BLACKSBURG, Va. – In search of its first conference win of the season, the Virginia Tech women’s soccer team shocked the No. 7 Maryland Terrapins with a 1-0 victory at Thompson Field, handing the Terps their first loss of the season and putting an end to their nine-game unbeaten streak. An outstanding day for Tech freshmen, forward Ashley Manning was the goal-scorer for the Hokies, while Dayle Colpitts played one of the best games of her career, as she tallied five saves en route to her third shutout of the year.

The evenly matched first half began slowly, with play remaining in the middle of the field for most of the period. Maryland (9-1-1, 1-1-1 ACC) came close to breaking things open ten minutes in, when a free kick opportunity from just outside the 18-yard box nearly went in the opposite side of the net, but a diving Colpitts made a clean save and knocked the ball above the goal and out of bounds.

Tech (7-5-0, 1-2-0 ACC) had an chance of its own later in the half, when sophomore defender Julia Goldsworthy launched a free kick from between the midfield and the 18 and nearly slipped it between the keeper’s reach and the top of the goal, but Yewande Balogun got her hand on it and tipped it out of bounds for the save.

In a similar play with 20 minutes remaining in the half, senior defender Kelly Lynch, who scored the only goal of her career from midfield last season, served in a free kick from the same distance and came close to bouncing the ball over the keeper and into the net but again Balogun, got a hand on it.

With ten minutes to go before the halftime break, Maryland’s Caitlin McDowell took a powerful shot from 25 yards out that Colpitts blocked with her body but she was unable to control afterwards, leaving it loose in the box. Lydia Hastings got a foot on the rebound for the Terps, but shot it directly at a Tech defender, who was able to deflect it into Colpitts’ hands to end the play.

Tech went into the intermission with the slight statistical edge, out-shooting the Terps 6-5 in the first 45 minutes.

Four quick shots by the Hokies to open the second half would set the tone early as Tech came out of the break attacking and ready to play. In the 52nd minute the Hokies’ efforts would pay off as they got on the board when Manning received a lob from sophomore midfielder Kelly Conheeney, who was 20 yards out on the right side. Manning was headed towards the goal at full speed but was closely played by a Maryland defender. Conheeney was able to get the ball up and over the defender to Manning’s open left side. After controlling the pass, Manning slipped it back into the right side of the net, between the approaching keeper and recovering defender for the 1-0 lead.

The Hokies didn’t let the goal change their attacking mentality, as they continued to dominate possession for much of the following minutes. Each team came close to adding a score, and with 20 minutes remaining in the match, a miscommunication between a few Tech players nearly allowed the Terps to even things up when they were able to move the ball across the 18 for a clear look on goal. Colpitts made yet another diving save to keep the lead in Tech’s hands but the loose ball would keep Tech in deep water. The Hokie defense went to work over the next few minutes as they were able to get the ball out of the box but not out of Maryland’s possession, allowing them numerous opportunities to serve the ball in but very few attempts at the goal. The backline finally got a break after Maryland drilled a free kick at the top of the box into the wall Tech made just a few yards away, which allowed the Hokies to clear it out.

Maryland turned it on in the final ten minutes of the game, forcing Tech to rely on its strong defense, though the entire team was in a defensive mode, just trying to maintain the lead and not add to it. Despite the relentless attacking by the Terps and outstanding play by the Tech defense, Colpitts was not forced to make a save in the final ten minutes as the Hokies inched towards victory.

Balogun finished the game with three saves and allowed just one goal.

The Hokies will return to action next Sunday, Oct. 10, when they travel all the way to Chestnut Hill, Mass., to take on a talented Boston College team at 1 p.m.

For updates on Virginia Tech women's soccer, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WSoccer).

HokieSports Shop