September 9, 2011
Nebraska edges women's soccer 4-3 in double-overtime
Conheeney, Lumpkin and Manning connected on one goal each
Nebraska (3-2-1) 12014
(25) Virginia Tech (6-1-0) 12003
  • Thompson Field - 569

BLACKSBURG, Va. – The Virginia Tech women’s soccer team fell to Nebraska, 4-3 in a thrilling double-overtime game on the first day of the Hilton Garden Hokie Invitational Friday night at Thompson Field. Kelly Conheeney, Anne Lumpkin and Ashley Manning all put the points on the board for the Hokies (6-1-0).

“It was a good game for us,” commented first-year head coach Chugger Adair. “It was a good hard battle like we knew it was going to be. Nebraska is a good team, they fight and scratch and create chances. I thought we played well, we were up 3-1 and probably should have closed the game out. They did a few things and put us under pressure and we didn’t clear a ball here and there and they snuck it away at the end and created a lot of opportunities. I thought we created enough chances to score and get the win but it just didn’t fall for us tonight. It was a great game to be apart of even on the losing end.”

Tech started attacking the goal right when the clock started taking the first eight shots of the game, including a corner kick from freshman Kelsey Loupee a minute into the half. The Huskers would eventually take two shots before Conheeney put the first point on the board with a header off a cross ball from Kelsey Mitchell to give the Hokies the 1-0 lead.

Nebraska fired right back with a sneaky shot from Jordan Jackson 35 yards back that went over keeper Anna Romeiser’s head and landed into the goal in the 33rd minute. The two teams went into the break tied 1-1.

Tech started the second period right were it left off, taking the next two shots and a corner before Jazmine Reeves dished a quick ball to Manning and Manning fired it over to Lumpkin where she found the back of the net from 12 yards back at the 51:59 mark to put the Hokies up, 2-1.

After Tech took two more corner kicks, Manning recorded her first goal of the season when Reeves fired a ball across the box and Manning ran in to tap the ball into the net to give the Hokies a two-point advantage in the 63rd minute.

The Huskers did not give up, as Jackson connected on a shot from the right side of the box from 12 yards back to close on the Hokie lead at the 78:51 mark. Seven minutes later, Morgan Marlborough dribbled down the field and fired a shot from the top of the box 20 yards back passed the hands of Romeiser to tie the game at three in the 82nd minute.

Nebraska out shot the Hokies six to four in the first overtime, but neither team could find the back of the net. Double-overtime lasted about three minutes when Jackson shot a ball that bounced off the crossbar and Stacy Bartels ran in and dished it in to end the game.

The Hokies out shot Nebraska 25-18 and took eight corner kicks, while limiting the Huskers to just one the entire game. Dayle Colpitts started the game for Tech making two saves, but left 28 minutes in due to injury. Romeiser recorded the loss for the Hokies, as she charted two saves as well. Emma Stevens was in goal for the Huskers as she charted six saves and picked up her third win on the season.

Day two of the Hokie Invitational will kick off when Wake Forest and Nebraska match up at 11:30 a.m., before Tech takes the field at 2 p.m. to face Loyola (Md.) Sunday at Thompson Field.

For updates on Virginia Tech women's soccer, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WSoccer).

HokieSports Shop