September 15, 2011
Big first half lifts Tech past Mountaineers, 4-0
Mayrose paces offense with two scores
Appalachian State (3-4-0) 000
Virginia Tech (8-1-0) 404
  • Thompson Field - 297

BLACKSGURG, Va. – An impressive first-half effort lifted the Virginia Tech women’s soccer team past the Appalachian State Mountaineers, 4-0, on Thursday night at Thompson Field. Shannon Mayrose led the way for the Hokies with two goals, while seven different Tech players earned a point in the game.

“It was a great game for us tonight,” commented first-year head coach Chugger Adair. “I think we came out with a good mentality and started the game well. We controlled the tempo and the rhythm and scored some very good goals the first half. Jazmine setup a great cross to Conheeney, who headed it in which was a good start to the game. Our rhythm just snowballed from there, as Mayrose came in off the bench and had the impact she has been having and scored two goals. It was nice to get Michels her second goal off of a corner. Overall, it was a good night for us, a lot of players got the opportunity to play and contribute. We are going to get ready to move on to Maryland for the first ACC match on Sunday.”

Tech (8-1-0) controlled the game from the start, rarely letting the Mountaineers (3-4-0) touch the ball. Subsequently, Tech was the first on the board after Jazmine Reeves brought the ball into the right corner and crossed it to the middle of the field, connecting with a diving Kelly Conheeney who redirected the ball into the goal for the 1-0 lead, 24 minutes into the match.

Less than five minutes later, the Hokies struck again, this time it was Mayrose with the diving header in the box. Kelsey Mitchell served the ball from just outside the 18-yard box and Mayrose had space to position herself and get a head on the ball to advance Tech’s lead to two goals.

The rapid scoring continued for the Hokies in the 31st minute as Mayrose again found the back of the net. Kelsey Loupee was the set-up man as she received a ball from the right side of the field but was unable to turn for a shot so she kicked it back outside the 18 to Mayrose, who buried the strong shot in the 31st minute.

Ten minutes before halftime Tech tacked on another goal when Brittany Michels rose above the crowd and headed in a corner kick from Anne Lumpkin.

The Hokies took a 4-0 advantage, as well as the 10-0 shooting edge into the halftime break.

Possession remained in Tech’s favor throughout the second half as it continued to power shots at the Appalachian State goal.

Though the score would not change in the second half, Tech never allowed the Mountaineers to take a single shot in the game, a season-first, and took 14 shots of its own by match’s end. The closest Appalachian State came to a shot was the one corner kick it took in the second half, while the Hokies tallied seven in the game.

Tech’s keeper Dayle Colpitts returned to action against the Mountaineers and saw 70 minutes of time in goal, though little came her way. Colpitts was replaced by Anna Romeiser, who finished out the final 20 minutes of the game. Appalachian State’s Amy Kolowsky tallied three stops against the Hokies and played the full 90 minutes.

Tech returns to action on Sunday, Sept. 18 as it travels to Maryland to take on the Terrapins at 5 p.m.

For updates on Virginia Tech women's soccer, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WSoccer).

HokieSports Shop