September 25, 2011
No. 13 Boston College rallies past women's soccer 2-1 in double overtime
Anne Lumpkin connects on a penalty kick for her third goal of the season
(13) Boston College (8-0-2) 10012
Virginia Tech (8-3-0) 01001
  • Thompson Field - 372

BLACKSBURG, Va. – The No. 13 Boston College Eagles rallied past the Virginia Tech women’s soccer team, 2-1, in double overtime on Sunday afternoon at Thompson Field. The Hokies fall to 8-3-0 overall and 0-2-0 in the ACC, while the Eagles remain undefeated with an 8-0-2 on the season and 3-0-0 in the conference. Junior Anne Lumpkin connected on the goal for Tech off a penalty kick in the second half.

“The team played well today,” commented first-year head coach Chugger Adair. “They played hard and it was one of our better games this season as far as overall team effort. We defended well, possessed well and created a lot of chances against a very good Boston College team. It would have been nice for us to come away with a win, but it didn’t happen today. The game just got away from us at the end. We had a number of chances there to win it but it didn’t fall in. It was a great game and hopefully we grow from this and move forward.”

The two teams battled from start of the game as they traded a number of shots in the first half. The Hokies had a number of chances to find the back of the net but the Boston College keeper, Jillian Mastroianni, played very well picking up six saves in the first. Sophomore Jazmine Reeves attacked the goal five times, including two back-to-back shots in the 25th minute.

The Eagles put the first point on the board when Kristen Mewis found the back of the net off a pass from Stephanie McCaffrey at the 39:54 mark that sneaked past Tech’s keeper, Dayle Colpitts. The two teams went into the half with Boston College up 1-0.

The Hokies came out strong in the second taking four shots and four corner kicks, before the Eagles committed a foul inside the box to setup Lumpkin for penalty kick in the 64th minute. Lumpkin buried the goal with ease to tie the game at one apiece. Tech continued to attack as it took five more shots, including a shot from Ashley Manning at the last second but could not break the tie, as the game would go into the first overtime.

Tech continued to attack but couldn’t connect on anything, as it took two corner kicks and two headers. Although, the defense stepped up to limited the Eagles to nothing in the first overtime.

Going into double-overtime, Manning broke away and had a chance to end the game firing a hard shot in the 103rd minute, but Mastroianni recorded a huge save to keep the game going. Minutes later, McCaffrey took control of a loose ball that Colpitts tried to snag as she came out of the box, but McCaffrey slid it to Alicia Blose for the open goal to end the game at the 105:56 mark.

As a team, Tech once again outshot its opponent 20-15, while taking eight corner kicks. Mastroianni recorded the win for the Eagles as she played an impressive game, picking up 10 saves. Colpitts took the loss for the Hokies, as she tallied a season-high eight stops.

Tech will be back in action Thursday, as it travels to Wake Forest for a 7 p.m. matchup at Spry Stadium.

For updates on Virginia Tech women's soccer, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WSoccer).

HokieSports Shop