November 12, 2011
Tech stuns West Virginia 1-0 in first round of NCAA Tournament
Kelly Conheeney notches the game-winner in the 17th minute
Virginia Tech (13-7-1) 101
West Virginia (17-5-0) 000
  • Dick Dlesk - 951

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – The Virginia Tech women’s soccer team defeated BIG EAST champion West Virginia 1-0 in the first round of the 2011 NCAA Tournament on Saturday night at the Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium. Kelly Conheeney connected on her 13th career game-winner in the 17th minute.

This is the second time in program history that the Hokies have advanced in the NCAA Tournament. In 2009, Tech made it all the way to the Sweet 16, earning the program's first Tournament victories in the process.

“It was a great win for us,” Tech head coach Chugger Adair said. “The first half was a lot better for us as far as controlling the rhythm and tempo, but it was a playoff atmosphere, with two very good teams going at it. The game got a little more physical as the game went on and the intensity picked up, and it was a just overall a very good soccer game.”

The Mountaineers finished with a 17-5-0 record on the season and saw their 10-game winning streak at home snapped. Tech improved to 13-7-1 overall. This is only the fourth time in 12 tries that WVU has not advanced in the NCAA Tournament.

The Hokies came out strong in the first half, creating an early opportunity two minutes into the game when Jazmine Reeves sent a cross into the box to Conheeney, who was close to the goal. Conheeney tried to sneak it in, but WVU’s keeper was there to make the save.

At the 16:56 mark, the Hokies put the only point on the board when Anne Lumpkin slotted a ball into the box to Conheeney, who sent a line drive past the Mountaineer keeper to put Tech up 1-0. Conheeney tallied her 11th goal of the season.

Conheeney’s goal was the first time the Hokies had found the back of the net in the first half since Oct. 13 when Tech defeated Clemson 3-0.

Tech outshot the Mountaineers 7-3 in the first, while taking five corner kicks to WVU’s one. Both goalies notched one save each, while Conheeney and Lumpkin led the Hokies with two shots apiece.

In the second, the two teams came out aggressively, as Tech committed five fouls in the first 10 minutes. Five yellow cards were given, all in the second, with the Mountaineers receiving four.

WVU created a number of chances to try to tie the score, but its 11 shots with only two on goal were not enough to find the back of the net. The Hokies took six shots, but focused more on shutting out the Mountaineers.

As a team, the Mountaineers outshot the Hokies 14-13, while Tech out-cornered WVU 8-2. Dayle Colpitts recorded the win for the Hokies, making three saves and recording her 11th career shutout. In goal for WVU was Sara Keane, who made two saves on the night.

Colpitts moved up in Tech’s all-time record book, as she sits tied for second in career shutouts as a sophomore.

The Hokies will travel to Charlottesville, Va., next Friday to take on Texas A&M in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. The match starts at 4 p.m.

For updates on Virginia Tech women's soccer, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WSoccer).

HokieSports Shop