|(11) Virginia Tech (7-0-0)||1||0||1|
No. 11 Virginia Tech travels to Winston-Salem, N.C., for the Wake Forest Tournament this weekend. The Hokies will take on Illinois Friday at 5 p.m., before an 11:30 a.m. matchup against Massachusetts.
FREQUENT FLIERS OF WAKE FOREST TOURNAMENTS
• This marks the sixth season that the Hokies have traveled to Winston-Salem, N.C., for a Wake Forest Tounament
• Virginia Tech visited the campus of Wake Forest in 2000, 2005, 2008, 2010 and 2011 for those tournaments
• The Hokies have only faced their conference oppenont once, back in 2000 where the Demon Deacons won, 5-1
• Virginia Tech is 8-5-1 all-time in Winston-Salem, N.C.
• The Hokies open the Wake Forest Tournament against Illinois Friday at 5 p.m.
• The teams are meeting for the first time in program history
• This is the fourth team that Virginia Tech is facing for the first time this season
TWO FIGHTING ILLINI IN JAPAN
• The Fighting Illini are starting out the 2012 season without starting midfielder Vanessa DiBernard and head coach Janet Rayfield
• The two are currently representing the United States in the 2012 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Japan
• Head Coach Rayfield is serving under Virginia’s Steve Swanson as assistant coach
• Virginia Tech closes the weekend with an 11:30 a.m. matchup against Massachusetts
• This is the fourth meeting between the Hokies and Minutewomen
• This marks the fourth meeting between the two teams and Massachusetts leads 3-0
• The series dates back to 1997 when both teams were in the Atlantic 10 Conference
• Virginia Tech has never scored a goal against the Minutewomen
• Georgie Highton will reunite with the Hokies on Sunday as she plays midfield for UMass
• Highton is a sophomore midfielder that spent the 2011 season with the Virginia Tech Hokies
• She appeared in four games her freshman season in Blacksburg
LAST TIME OUT
• Virginia Tech notched two convincing wins this past weekend
• The Hokies downed Mount St. Mary’s, 4-0, for the first time in program history Friday
• Virginia Tech shutout the American Eagles, 3-0, on Sunday to remain perfect on the season
• Five Hokies found the back of the net this past weekend:
MOVING ON UP
• The Hokies are ranked No. 11 in the NSCAA Continental Tire poll this week
• This marks the highest ranking in program history
• In 2009, Virginia Tech was ranked No. 12 in week eight and fell to Maryland on Oct. 11
• In the 60th minute against American, Mayrose was successful on a penalty kick for the final goal of the game
• What a great way to celebrate her 21st birthday!
Click here to view the full set of game notes.
For updates on Virginia Tech women's soccer, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WSoccer).