VCU's Burns/Petrashevtich began the day by winning the No. 2 doubles match over Larson/Beermann, 8-5. Uvarova/Konstantinova clinched the doubles point in the No. 1 match by defeating Brouwer/Hamza with an identical score, 8-5. Yergina/Leonchuk beat Long/Johnson, 8-7, to sweep the doubles for the Rams as they took a 1-0 lead.
The Hokies received a break early in singles action when Kateryna Yergina retired against Yasmin Hamza (Fr., Cairo, Egypt) while leading 4-3 in the first set of the No. 2 match. The Rams came back though as Vera Petrashevitch earned a 6-2, 6-1 win over Jessica Brouwer (Jr., Maarssen, Netherlands) in the No. 5 match. No. 33 nationally-ranked Tatsiana Uvarova put VCU ahead, 3-1, with a 7-5, 6-2 win over Inga Beermann (Jr., Bad Salzuflen, Germany) in the No. 1 spot.
However, the Hokies rebounded as Holly Johnson (Fr., Tallahassee, Fla.) defeated Kateryna Malakhova, 6-5, 7-5 in the No. 6 match, which J.J. Larson (Sr., Orchard Park, N.Y.) followed up on by earning the third point with a 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 three-set win over Laura Burns in the No. 4 spot.
With the score tied, 3-3, the deciding point came down to the No. 3 match between Long and VCU's Vicotria Konstantinova. Long lost the first set, 7-5, but then won the second, 6-2. Trailing 4-2 in the third set, Long won the next four games with her teammates watching on to pull out the victory for the Hokies.
This is Tech's second win over a ranked opponent this season. Last week on the road, the Hokies defeated No. 51 Purdue, 5-2.
1. #33 Tatsiana Uvarova (VCU) def. Inga Beermann (VT) 7-5, 6-2
2. Yasmin Hamza (VT) def. Kateryna Yergina (VCU) 3-4 (ret.)
3. Jessica Long (VT) def. Vicotria Konstantinova (VCU) 5-7, 6-2, 6-4
4. J.J. Larson (VT) def. Laura Burns (VCU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
5. Vera Petrashevitch (VCU) def. Jessica Brouwer (VT) 6-2, 6-1
6. Holly Johnson (VT) def. Kateryna Malakhova (VCU) 7-6, 7-5
1. Uvarova/Konstantinova (VCU) def. Brouwer/Hamza (VT) 8-5
2. Burns/Petrashevitch (VCU) def. Larson/Beermann (VT) 8-5
3. Yergina/Leonchuk (VCU) def. Long/Johnson (VT) 8-7
* Clinching point