|(73) Virginia Tech||6|
RICHMOND, Va. - The Virginia Tech women’s tennis team picked up its fifth consecutive victory Saturday evening with a 6-1 win over Richmond. Inclement weather forced the match to be moved indoors at the Country Club of Virginia. Tech improves to 8-3 on the year while Richmond fell to 3-4.
Tech, ranked No. 73 in this week’s ITA national poll, won all three doubles matches to take the first point of the evening, then captured five of the six singles contests.
In singles action, Christin Newman (Fr., Greensboro, N.C.) easily won her No. 2 match, 6-1, 6-1, over Kelly Tidwell and Yasmin Hamza (Jr., Cairo, Egypt) defeated Helen Cunningham, 7-5, 6-1, in the No. 3 contest. Shannon Betts (So., Newnan, Ga.) took the No. 4 match, 6-3, 6-1, against Alexandra Smyth while Courtney Rauscher (So., Evans, Ga.) won, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 5 over Sydney Grant. The Hokies remaining single win occurred at No. 6 as Emily Lauten (Fr., Marietta, Ga.) defeated Joanna Matuszczyk, 6-4, 6-3.
Tech lone loss on the day was at No. 1 as Martha Blakely (So., Reading, Pa.) dropped a tough, 6-2, 2-6, 6-1, decision to Erin Clark.
Tech swept the doubles competition to open the day as Betts/Newman won, 8-4, against Clark/Cunningham at No. 1 and Hamza/Holly Johnson (Jr., Tallahassee, Fla.) took the No. 2 match, 8-1, over Isabel Arana/Tidwell. The Hokies completed the doubles sweep as Blakely/Katie Blow (So., Richmond, Va.) won, 8-4, at No. 3 versus Grant/Smyth.
The Hokies return to the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center next weekend for key ACC contest against Boston College (March 20) and No. 39 Virginia (March 21).
#73 Virginia Tech 6, Richmond 1
1. Erin Clark (UR) def. Martha Blakely (VT) 6-2, 2-6, 6-1
2. Christin Newman (VT) def. Kelly Tidwell (UR) 6-1, 6-1
3. Yasmin Hamza (VT) def. Helen Cunningham (UR) 7-5, 6-1
4. Shannon Betts (VT) def. Alexandra Smyth (UR) 6-3, 6-1
5. Courtney Rauscher (VT) def. Sydney Grant (UR) 6-3, 6-1
6. Emily Lauten (VT) def. Joanna Matuszczyk (UR) 6-4, 6-3
1. Betts/Newman (VT) def. Clark/Cunningham (UR) 8-4
2. Hamza/Holly Johnson (VT) def. Isabel Arana/Tidwell (UR) 8-1
3. Blakely/Katie Blow (VT) def. Grant/Smyth (UR) 8-4
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).