BLACKSBURG, Va. – The No. 60 Virginia Tech women’s tennis team secured a 6-1 win over Elon on Saturday morning at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center in Blacksburg, Va. It is the first match in a weekend doubleheader for the Hokies.
Tech (1-0) got out to a 1-0 lead, winning two of the three doubles matches to secure the point. The Hokies won the No. 2 doubles as Shannon Betts and Carol Kahoun teamed up for an 8-5 win over Bryn Khoury and Viviana Stavreva.
The Hokies secured points in five of the six singles matches. Martha Blakely put the Tech up 2-0, winning the No. 1 singles with a 6-4, 6-1 decision over Jordan Johnston. Tech extended its lead as Emily Lauten defeated Stavreva in the No. 5 singles, 6-3, 6-2.
Tech newcomer Kahoun had a strong collegiate debut in the No. 4, defeating Frida Jansaker in straight sets with scores of 6-4, 6-4. Katie Blow dropped Elon’s Camara, 7-6(4), 6-4 in the No. 6.
Betts played a tough match in the No. 3 against Lazarova. The Elon player won the opening set, 7-5, but Betts came back in the second set for a 604 win. She secured the match in the tiebreaker, 10-2.
The Hokies will continue Saturday competition against East Carolina at 4 p.m.
Virginia Tech 6, Elon 1
1. Martha Blakely (VT) def. Jordan Johnston (Elon) 6-4, 6-1
2. Bryn Khoury (Elon) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) 5-7, 7-6(7), 10-6
3. Shannon Betts (VT) def. Barbora Lazarova (Elon) 5-7, 6-4, 10-2
4. Carol Kahoun (VT) def. Frida Jansaker (Elon) 6-4, 6-4
5. Emily Lauten (VT) def. Viviana Stavreva (Elon) 6-3, 6-2
6. Katie Blow (VT) def. Maria Camara (Elon) 7-6(4), 6-4
1. Johnston/Jansaker (Elon) def. Courtney Rauscher/Blakely (VT) 8-6
2. Betts/Kahoun (VT) def. Khoury/Stavreva (Elon) 8-5
3. Martinez-Marcos/Lauten (VT) def. Briana Berne/Camara (Elon) 9-7
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).