BLACKSBURG, Va. – The Virginia Tech women’s tennis team picked up its second win of the day on Saturday defeating East Carolina, 7-0, in the evening match at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
In the No. 1 doubles, Martha Blakely and Courtney Rauscher paired up for an 8-3 win over ECU’s Neena Wanko and Renata Bakieva. With the win the No. 1, the Hokies secured the doubles point. Emily Lauten and Isel Martinez-Marcos downed Danielle Terpko and Dana Gray in the No. 3 match.
Blakely got on the board first for the Hokies in singles with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Wanko in the No. 1. Martinez-Marcos put Tech up 3-0 with a win in the No. 2 singles, defeating Zhang, 6-1, 6-4.
In the No. 3 singles, Betts dropped ECU’s Collins with straight set scores of 6-2, 6-4. Lauten secured a 7-6(3), 6-4 win in the No. 6, defeating Gray.
Carol Kahoun notched a 6-1, 7-6(3) score in the No. 5 singles with a win over Bakieva. In the No. 4 singles, Rauscher outlasted Terpko in a back and forth battle. Rauscher took the opening set 7-5 before falling in the second set, 7-5. She grabbed the tiebreaker 1-0(7) to secure the point.
The Hokies will return to the court on Tuesday, Jan. 31 when they open ACC play against in-state rival No. 9 Virginia at 4 p.m.
1. Martha Blakely (VT) def. Neena Wanko (ECU) 6-1 6-3
2. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) def. Yilian Zhang (ECU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Shannon Betts (VT) def. Natalie Collins (ECU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Courtney Rauscher (VT) def. Danielle Terpko (ECU) 7-5, 5-7, 1-0(7)
5. Carol Kahoun (VT) def. Renata Bakieva (ECU) 6-1, 7-6(3)
6. Emily Lauten (VT) def. Dana Gray (ECU) 7-6(3), 6-4
1. Blakely/Rauscher (VT) def. Wanko/Bakieva (ECU) 8-3
2. Betts/Blow (VT) def. Collins/Zhang (ECU) 8-2
3. Lauten/Martinez-Marcos (VT) def. Terpko/Gray (ECU) 8-5
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).