BLACKSBURG, Va. – The No. 61 Virginia Tech women’s tennis team defeated Winthrop, 5-2 in non-conference action on Saturday afternoon at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center in Blacksburg, Va.
Tech (3-1) started out strong, claiming the doubles point against Winthrop (3-5) with wins in two of the three matches. Shannon Betts and Katie Blow teamed up in the No. 2 with a 9-7 win over Sandra Herrara and Giovanna Portioli. In the No. 3 doubles, Emily Lauten and Isel Martinez-Marcos secured an 8-5 win over Ekin Gunaysu and Camille Amrani.
In singles the Hokies claimed wins in the one through four matches. Martha Blakely defeated Yasmine Alkema in the No. 1, 7-5, 6-4, while Martinez-Marcos had a 6-3, 6-4 win over Garcia in the No. 2.
Betts had a win in the No. 3, defeating Herrara, 6-4, 6-1 and Courtney Rauscher claimed a 6-4, 6-4 decision over Portioli.
The Hokies will remain at home on Sunday, Feb. 5 when they host Appalachian State at noon at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
1. Martha Blakely (VT) def. Yasmine Alkema (WU) 7-5, 6-4
2. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) def. Andressa Garcia (WU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Shannon Betts (VT) def. Sandra Herrara (WU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Courtney Rauscher (VT) def. Giovanna Portioli (WU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Monica Aguado (WU) def. Carol Kahoun (VT) 6-1, 7-6(3)
6. Camille Amrani (WU) def. Emily Lauten (VT) 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
1. Alkema/Garcia (WU) def. Rauscher/Blakely (VT) 8-3
2. Betts/Blow (VT) def. Herrara/Portioli (WU) 9-7
3. Lauten/Martinez-Marcos (VT) def. Gunaysu/Amrani (WU) 8-5
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).