BLACKSBURG, Va. – No. 61 Virginia Tech women’s tennis team defeated Appalachian State, 7-0, winning all matches on Sunday in a non-conference match at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
Tech’s Shannon Betts and Katie Blow clinched the point for the Hokies with their win in the No. 2 doubles as they defeated Gabriela Cell and Gisela Fernandez, 8-4. Emily Lauten and Isel Martinez-Marcos downed Blakeley Bean and Gabby Gabriel, 8-5 in the No. 3 doubles.
In singles, Lauten secured a straight set win in the No. 5, defeating Gabriel, 6-2, 6-1 to put the Hokies up 2-0 on the Mountaineers. Blakely increased Tech’s lead with a win in the No. 1 as she downed Linsell, 6-1, 6-3.
Kahoun secured the match for the Hokies with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Jessica Thaggard in the No. 4 singles. The No. 6 singles pitted Tech’s Blow against Kim-Lea Dinh in a three set battle. After dropping the first set, 7-6(3), Blow responded to win sets two and three with scores of 6-4, 1-0(7).
The Hokies will be back on the court on Saturday, Feb. 11 in doubleheader action, hosting Davidson at 10 a.m. followed by East Tennessee State at 3:30 p.m. at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
1. Martha Blakely (VT) def. Ellie Linsell (ASU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) def. Jennifer Ansari (ASU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Shannon Betts (VT) def. Gabriela Cell (ASU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Carol Kahoun (VT) def. Jessica Thaggard (ASU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Emily Lauten (VT) def. Gabby Gabriel (ASU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Katie Blow (VT) def. Kim-Lea Dinh (ASU) 6-7(3), 6-4, 1-0(7)
Order of finish: 5, 1, 4, 3, 2, 6
1. Blakely/Kahoun (VT) def. Linsell/Ansari (ASU) 8-2
2. Betts/Blow (VT) def. Cell/Gisela Fernandez (ASU) 8-4
3. Lauten/Martinez-Marcos (VT) def. Blakeley Bean/Gabriel (ASU) 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).