BLACKSBURG, Va. – The No. 61 Virginia Tech women’s tennis team swept all matches as the Hokies defeated Davidson, 7-0 in the morning match of a Saturday doubleheader at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
The Hokies (5-1) claimed the doubles point, sweeping all three matches and taking a 1-0 lead heading into singles. Katie Blow and Megan Conley paired up in the No. 3 singles to defeat Catherine Wood and Frizzi Bschorer, 8-4. In the No. 2 Emily Lauten and Courtney Rauscher downed Katharine Dicconson and Brites Moniz-Soares, 8-6 to secure the point.
Tech continued its winning ways into singles as Blakely cruised to a straight set, 6-0, 6-0 win over Synn in the No. 1 to give the Hokies a 2-0 advantage while Kahoun took the No. 3 against Crouser, 6-2, 6-0.
Lauten secured the match for Tech with a 6-0, 6-3 decision over Dicconson in the No. 4 as the Hokies held a 4-0 lead. Blow picked up a win over Wood in the No. 5 with scores of 6-1, 6-2.
In the No. 6 singles, Tech’s Conley defeated Frizzi Bschorer, 6-2, 6-3. Isel Martinez-Marcos defeated Moniz-Soares, 6-4, 7-6(2) in the No. 2 to complete the sweep by the Hokes.
Tech will be back on the court this afternoon against East Tennessee State at 3:30 p.m. at the Burrows Burleson Tennis Center.
1. Martha Blakely (VT) def. Stephani Synn (DAV) 6-0, 6-0
2. Isel Martinez Marcos (VT) def. Brites Moniz-Soares (DAV) 6-4, 7-6(2)
3. Carol Kahoun (VT) def. Nisha Crouser (DAV) 6-2, 6-0
4. Emily Lauten (VT) def. Katharine Dicconson (DAV) 6-0, 6-3
5. Katie Blow (VT) def. Catherine Wood (DAV) 6-1, 6-2
6. Megan Conley (VT) def. Frizzi Bschorer (DAV) 6-2, 6-3
Finishing Order: 1,3,4,5,6,2
1. Blakely/Kahoun (VT) def. Synn/Crouser (DAV) 8-7(4)
2. Lauten/Courtney Rauscher (VT) def. Dicconson/Moniz (DAV) 8-6
3. Blow/Conley (VT) def. Wood/Bschorer (DAV) 8-4
Finishing Order: 3,2,1
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).