BLACKSBURG, Va. – The No. 61 Virginia Tech women’s tennis team fell to No. 40 VCU, 5-2 on Wednesday afternoon at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center in Blacksburg, Va.
Tech (6-2) fell behind 1-0, losing the doubles point as the Rams (9-2) took the lead going into singles matches.
The Hokies were down 2-0 before Shannon Betts got Tech on the board with a win in the No. 3 singles. Betts defeated Daria Yakauleva in straight sets with scores of 6-2, 7-5.
VCU clinched the match with a win in the No. 5 singles, but Tech would get on the board one more time as Martha Blakely picked up a hard fought three set battle in the No. 1. Falling behind, 7-5 in the opening set, Blakely rallied against Ana Bara to claim the second set, 6-0. She secured the match with a 7-5 win in the final frame.
Tech will play its first road match of the spring season on Friday, Feb. 17 in a 5:30 p.m. match at Liberty.
1. Martha Blakely (VT) def. Ana Bara (VCU) 5-7, 6-0, 7-5
2. No. 120 Alex Bara (VCU) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) 6-2, 6-4
3. Shannon Betts (VT) def. Daria Yakauleva (VCU) 6-2, 7-5
4. Alena Gerasimova (VCU) def. Courtney Rauscher (VT) 6-2, 6-3
5. Olga Terteac (VCU) def. Carol Kahoun (VT) 6-2, 6-4
6. Marketa Plancha (VCU) def. Emily Lauten (VT) 6-2, 2-6, 7-5
Finishing order: 4,3,2,5,6,1
1. Bara/Bara (VCU) def. Blakely/Rauscher (VT) 8-5
2. Josefin Hjertquist/Yakauleva (VCU) def. Betts/Katie Blow (VT) 8-2
3. Gerasimova/Salome Kvitashvili (VCU) def. Lauten/Martinez-Marcos (VT) 9-7
Finishing order: 2,1,3
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).