LYNCHBURG, Va. – After sweeping the doubles matches, the No. 62 Virginia Tech women’s tennis team picked up four singles to secure the 5-2 over Liberty in non-conference action on Friday evening in Lynchburg, Va.
The Hokies (7-2) got off to a strong start, winning the doubles point. Tech took the No. 2 doubles as Emily Lauten and Courtney Rauscher defeated LIberty's (1-4) Cameron Richard and Nicola Wellman, 8-4.
Virginia Tech secured the doubles point with a win in the No. 1 when Shannon Betts and Katie Blow teamed up for a win over Alexandra Sheeran and Rebekah Jenkins, 9-8(7-0). Megan Conley and Carol Kahoun also paired up for a win, defeating Carol Lobel and Jessie Boda, 8-6 in the No. 3.
Tech went up 2-0 over the Flames in the match as Lauten took the No. 3 singles with a win over Lobel, 6-3, 6-2. The Hokies extended their lead when Betts defeated Sheeran in the No. 1 singles with scores of 3-6, 6-2, 6-3.
Rausher’s win in the No. 2 singles clinched the match for the Hokies. Rauscher claimed a 7-6(3), 6-2 decision against Richard. Kahoun rounded out the scoring for Tech with a tough three set match against Jenkins in the No. 3. After dropping the first set, 7-5, Kahoun rallied to win the next two sets, 6-2, 7-5.
The Hokies will return to the court Saturday, Feb. 25 in a 1 p.m. neutral site match against Missouri in Minneapolis, Minn. Tech will follow it up with a Sunday match against host team Minnesota at 11 a.m.
1. Shannon Betts (VT) def. Alexandra Sheeran (LU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. Courtney Rauscher (VT) def. Cameron Richard (LU) 7-6(3), 6-2
3. Carol Kahoun (VT) def. Rebekah Jenkins (LU) 5-7, 6-2, 7-5
4. Emily Lauten (VT) def. Carol Lobel (LU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Nicola Wellman (LU) def. Katie Blow (VT) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
6. Jessie Boda (LU) def. Megan Conley (VT) 4-6, 6-2, 11-9
Order of finish: 4,1,2,5,6,3
1. Betts/Blow (VT) def. Sheeran/Jenkins (LU) 9-8(7-0)
2. Lauten/Rauscher (VT) def. Richard/Wellman (LU) 8-4
3. Conley/Kahoun (VT) def. Lobel/Boda (LU) 8-6
Order of finish: 2,1,3
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).