MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. – The No. 62 Virginia Tech women’s tennis team fell to Missouri, 6-1 on Saturday evening at the Baseline Tennis Center in Minneapolis, Minn. Tech falls to 7-3 on the season while the Tigers improve to 5-3.
Emily Lauten secured a straight set win in the No. 6 singles to get the Hokies on the board in the neutral site match. She defeated Annemijn Koenen 6-3, 6-4.
Missouri got out to the 1-0 lead after the doubles matches, but had to work for the point. In the No. 1 Nina Pantic and Jamie Mera were pushed by the Hokies’ Martha Blakely and Courtney Rauscher as the match went to 9-7 before the Tigers picked up the win.
In singles, the Hokies went to three sets in the No. 1 and No. 5 matches. Blakely picked up a 6-2 win in the opening set of the No. 1, but Pantic responded to win the second and third sets with scores of 6-3, 6-4, respectively.
In the No. 5 singles, Kahoun fell to Alexandra Clark 6-3 in the opening set. Kahoun came back to win the second set 7-5, but Clark took the final set 6-2.
The Hokies will play host team Minnesota on Sunday, Feb. 25 at Noon (ET).
1. Nina Pantic (UM) def. Martha Blakely (VT) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. #78 Rachel Stuhlmann (UM) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) 6-0, 6-4
3. Maria Christensen (UM) def. Shannon Betts (VT) 6-2, 6-1
4. Jamie Mera (UM) def. Courtney Rauscher (VT) 6-2, 6-2
5. Alexandra Clark (UM) def. Carol Kahoun (VT) 6-3, 5-7, 6-2
6. Emily Lauten (VT) def. Annemijn Koenen (UM) 6-3, 6-4
1. Pantic/Mera (UM) def. Rauscher/Blakely (VT) 9-7
2. Stuhlmann/Koenen (UM) def. Betts/Katie Blow (VT) 9-7
3. Clark/Ashleigh Chiaf (UM) def. Lauten/Martinez-Marcos (VT) 8-6
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).