MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. – No. 62 Virginia Tech women’s tennis fell to No. 71 Minnesota, 7-0 on Sunday afternoon at the Baseline Tennis Center in Minneapolis, Minn.
Tech falls to 7-4 while the Gophers improve to 7-1.
The Hokies fell behind 1-0 after the doubles matches. Tech played a tough match in the No. 2 as Shannon Betts and Katie Blow forced the tiebreaker before Natalia Pintusaya and Magdelena Wiecha held on for the 8-7(3) win.
In singles, Tech’s Martha Blakely took Pintusaya to three sets. After falling behind 6-1 in the opening set, Blakely rallied back to claim the second set, 6-3. Pintusaya took the match with a 1-0 (8) decision in the third.
In the No. 6 singles, Emily Lauten played a pair of tough sets, but Aria Lambert held on in both with scores of 7-6(2) and 7-6(5) to take the point for the Gophers.
The Hokies will remain on the road for next weekend’s matches, traveling to Marshall on Saturday, March 3 before opening the ACC road schedule on Sunday, March 4 at Maryland.
1. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. Martha Blakely (VT) 6-1, 3-6, 1-0 (8)
2. Alexa Palen (MINN) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) 6-1, 6-1
3. Yuliana Umanets (MINN) def. Shannon Betts (VT) 7-5, 6-3
4. Doron Muravnik (MINN) (MINN) def. Courtney Rauscher (VT) 7-6 (4), 6-3
5. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) def. Carol Kahoun (VT) 6-4, 6-2
6. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Emily Lauten (VT) 7-6 (2), 7-6 (5)
1. Palen/Umanets (MINN) def. Blakely/Rauscher (VT) 8-4
2. Pintusava/Magdalena Wiecha (MINN) def. Betts/Katie Blow (VT) 8-7 (3)
3. Julia Courter/Brichacova (MINN) def. Martinez-Marcos/Lauten (VT) 8-2
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).