HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – The Virginia Tech women’s tennis team fell just short against Marshall on Saturday afternoon, falling 4-3 at the Huntington Tennis Center in Huntington, W.Va. Four singles went to three sets in the tough non-conference match.
Tech (7-5) dropped the doubles point to the Herd (5-6), falling in two of the three matches. Shannon Betts and Courtney Rauscher secured a win in the No. 2 doubles, defeating Ellie Ball and Kara Kucin, 9-8.
The Hokies tied up the match at 1-1 with a win in the No. 3 singles as Isel Martinez-Marcos defeated Ball in three sets. Ball picked up the opening set, 6-3, but Martinez-Marcos rallied back for the win with scores of 6-1, 6-3 in the second and third sets.
Marshall had wins in the next two singles matches to go back on top, 3-1. The Herd secured the match with a win in the No. 4 singles as Kara Kucin held off Courtney Rauscher, 3-6, 6-2, 6-3.
Martha Blakely scored for the Hokies in the No. 1 singles with a win over Dominika Zaprazna, notching scores of 3-6, 6-3, 6-4. Carol Kahoun rounded out the Tech points with an 8-6 decision in the No. 6, defeating Kara Broomfield.
The Hokies will play their first ACC road match of the season on Sunday against Maryland beginning at 1 p.m.
1. Martha Blakely (VT) def. Dominika Zaprazna (MU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Maria Voscekova (MU) def. Shannon Betts (VT) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
3. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) def. Ellie Ball (MU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
4. Kara Kucin (MU) def. Courtney Rauscher (VT) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. Kristina Koprcina (MU) def. Emily Lauten (VT) 6-3, 7-6 (7-0)
6. Carol Kahoun (VT) def. Kia Broomfield (MU) 8-6
Order of finish: 3,5,2,4,1,6
1. Zaprazna/Voscekova (MU) def. Blakely/Kahoun (VT) 8-6
2. Betts/Rauscher (VT) def. Ball/Kucin (MU) 9-8
3. Karlyn Timko/Broomfield (MU) def. Katie Blow/Martinez-Marcos (VT) 8-6
Order of finish: 1,3,2
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).