COLLEGE PARK, Md. – The Virginia Tech women’s tennis team fell behind 3-0 before rallying for a big win on Sunday afternoon, defeating ACC foe No. 48 ranked Maryland, 4-3 at the Tennis Center at College Park in College Park, Md.
The Hokies (8-5) fell behind 1-0 after losing the doubles point as the Terps secured wins in all three matches.
Maryland (6-5) extend its lead to 3-0, picking up wins in the No. 2 and 1 singles matches before the Hokies got on the board with a win from Shannon Betts in the No. 3. She battled past Welma Luus in a three set match. Luus took the first set 6-2, but Betts claimed sets two and three with scores of 6-3, 6-3.
Courtney Rauscher pulled the Hokies within one (3-2) as she defeated Vroni Van Berlo in the No. 4 singles. Rauscher took the opening set, 6-4, but Van Berlo took the second set, 6-2. The Hokies’ player secured the point with a 6-3 win in the third set.
In the No. 5 singles, Emily Lauten tied the match for the Hokies at 3-3. Lauten defeated Jordan Hansbrough, 6-4 in the first set, but the Terp player had a 6-4 win in the second set. Lauten took the third set, 6-3.
The deciding match came down to the No. 6 singles where Tech’s Carol Kahoun secured the point needed for the win with a three set match against Mikele Irazusta. Taking the first set, 6-4, Kahoun fell just shy of winning in straight sets as Irazusta held on for the 7-6(5) decision in the second set. Kahoun claimed the point for the Hokies with a 7-6(4) win in the final set.
Virginia Tech will be back on the court on Sunday, March 11 in Fort Myers, Fla. against Florida Gulf Coast. Match time is set for 10 a.m.
Virginia Tech 4, #48 Maryland 3
1. #36 Cristina Stancu (MD) def. Martha Blakely (VT) 6-3, 6-1
2. Ana Belzunce (MD) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) 6-0, 6-1
3. Shannon Betts (VT) def. Welma Luus (MD) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Courtney Rauscher (VT) def. Vroni Van Berlo (MD) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
5. Emily Lauten (VT) def. Jordan Hansbrough (MD) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
6. Carol Kahoun (VT) def. Mikele Irazusta (MD) 6-4, 6-7(5), 7-6(4)
Order of finish: 2,1,3,4,5,6*
1. #25 Belzunce/Luus (MD) def. Betts/Rauscher (VT) 8-4
2. Stancu/Van Berlo (MD) def. Blakely/Kahoun (VT) 8-4
3. Hansbrough/Irazusta (MD) def. Lauten/Martinez-Marcos (VT) 9-8 (7-5)
Order of finish: 1,2*,3
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).