FORT MYERS, Fla. – The No. 59 Virginia Tech women’s tennis team defeated Florida Gulf Coast, 7-0 on Sunday afternoon in a non-conference match in Fort Myers, Fla.
Tech (9-5) won two of the three doubles matches to go on top 1-0 heading into the singles matches. Martha Blakely and Carol Kahoun teamed up in the No. 1 doubles to secure the 8-2 win over Morgan Bechtel and Marina Diez.
The Hokies took four of the six singles matches in straight sets. Martinez-Marcos defeated Jen Evans, 6-2, 6-1 in the No. 2 while Shannon Betts had a 6-2, 6-3 victory against Diez in the No. 3.
Lauten secured a 6-4, 6-2 decision in the No. 5 against Botha and Kahoun downed Gyanna Mandic, 7-5, 6-3 in the No. 6.
Blakely had a three set battle in the No. 1, winning the first set 6-3 against Means. The FGCU player came back in the second set for a 6-2 win, but Blakely wrapped up the point with a 6-4 score in the third.
Courtney Rauscher also had a tough match in the No. 4, defeating Bechtel 6-4 in the first set. Bechtel claimed the second set, 6-1, but Rauscher won in the tiebreaker 1-0 (10-4).
The Hokies will be back on the court, returning home to Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center for an ACC match against Boston College on Saturday, March 17. Match time is set for 10 a.m.
1. Martha Blakely (VT) def. Sarah Means (FGCU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
2. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) def. Jen Evans (FGCU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Shannon Betts (VT) def. Marina Diez (FGCU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Courtney Rauscher (VT) def. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) 6-4, 1-6, 1-0 (10-4)
5. Emily Lauten (VT) def. Bettina Botha (FGCU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Carol Kahoun (VT) def. Gyanna Mandic (FGCU) 7-5, 6-3
1. Blakely/Kahoun (VT) def. Bechtel/Diez (FGCU) 8-2
2. Evans/Mandic (FGCU) def. Katie Blow/Rauscher (VT) 8-6
3. Lauten/Martinez-Marcos (VT) def. Botha/Means (FGCU) 8-5
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).