BLACKBURG, Va. – The Virginia Tech women’s tennis team dropped Boston College 5-2 on Saturday afternoon in ACC action at Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center in Blacksburg, Va. With the win, the Hokies improve to 10-5 overall and 2-1 in the ACC while BC falls to 7-6 and 1-3 in the league.
Tech took the early 1-0 lead, winning two of the three doubles matches to claim the point. Shannon Betts and Courtney Rauscher teamed up in the No. 2 match to defeat Katarina Gajic and Ina Kauppila, 8-4.
Virginia Tech secured the team win with the Hokies winning all the first three completed singles. Carol Kahoun gave Tech a 2-0 advantage with a 6-1, 6-3 win against Barry in the No. 5. Betts rolled past Kelleher in the No. 3 with scores of 6-4, 6-0.
Lauten’s win in the No. 6 gave the Hokies the points needed as she defeated Kauppila, 6-3, 6-2. Tech scored its final point in the No. 2 where Martinez-Marcos held off Jessica Wacnik, 7-5, 7-5.
The Hokies will take an in-state trip to Williamsburg on Tuesday, March 20 to face William & Mary in a 1 p.m. match.
1. Erina Kikuchi (BC) def. Martha Blakely (VT) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-2)
2. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) def. Jessica Wacnik (BC) 7-5, 7-5
3. Shannon Betts (VT) def. Alex Kelleher (BC) 6-4 6-0
4. Katarina Gajic (BC) def. Courtney Rauscher (VT) 6-4, 6-2
5. Carol Kahoun (VT) def. Kelly Barry (BC) 6-1, 6-3
6. Emily Lauten (VT) def. Ina Kauppila (BC) 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 5, 3, 6, 4, 2, 1
1. #62 Kikuchi/Wacnik (BC) def. Blakely/Kahoun (VT) 8-5
2. Betts/Rauscher (VT) def. Gajic/Kauppila (BC) 8-4
3. Lauten/Martinez-Marcos (VT) def. Barry/Kelleher (BC) 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).