BLACKSBURG, Va. – The No. 59 Virginia Tech women’s tennis team fell to ACC foe No. 11 North Carolina, 7-0 on Friday afternoon at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center in Blacksburg, Va.
In singles, the Hokies (11-6, 2-2 ACC) battled to three sets in three matches, but were unable to overcome Carolina (13-4, 3-0 ACC).
Senior Martha Blakely was edged in the No. 1 singles as 33rd-ranked Zoe DeBruycker held on after falling behind 6-4 in the first set. The Carolina player came back for a 6-1 win in the second. Blakely and DeBruycker went back and forth in the tiebreak, but DeBruycker held on to win 1-0(10-7).
Tech’s Shannon Betts clashed with No. 26 ranked Lauren McHale in the No. 3 singles. After falling behind 7-6(9-7) in the opening set, Betts rallied to take the second set, 6-2. In the tiebreaker, McHale outlasted Betts for a 1-0(10-6) decision.
The Hokies’ Courtney Rauscher also had a tough match in the No. 4 singles, facing off with Gina Suarez-Malaguti. The Tar Heel player picked up the opening set, 6-1, but Rauscher came back for a 6-3 win in the second. The two traded points in the tiebreaker but Suarez-Malaguti edged Rauscher, 1-0(10-8).
Tech will be back on the court on Sunday, March 25, hosting No. 5 Duke. Match is set to begin at 1 p.m. at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.
1. #33 Zoe DeBruycker (UNC) def. Martha Blakely (VT) 4-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-7)
2. #118 Shinann Featherstone (UNC) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) 6-3, 6-1
3. #26 Lauren McHale (UNC) def. Shannon Betts (VT) 7-6 (9-7), 2-6, 1-0 (10-6)
4. Gina Suarez-Malaguti (UNC) def. Courtney Rauscher (VT) 6-1, 3-6, 1-0 (10-8)
5. #96 Caroline Price (UNC) def. Carol Kahoun (VT) 6-1, 6-1
6. Tessa Lyons (UNC) def. Emily Lauten (VT) 6-1, 6-0
1. #13 McHale/Featherstone (UNC) def. Blakely/Kahoun (VT) 8-6
2. #53 Haley Hemm/Lyons (UNC) def. Betts/Rauscher (VT) 8-1
3. Laura Slater/Jennifer Stone (UNC) def. Lauten/Martinez-Marcos (VT) 8-2
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).