Hokies falter against No. 5 Duke
Tech moves to 11-7 overall and 2-2 in the ACC
| (5) Duke ||7|
| (59) Virginia Tech||0|
BLACKSBURG, Va. – The 59th-ranked Virginia Tech women’s tennis team fell to No. 5 ranked Duke, 7-0 on Sunday in a home match at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center. Duke improves to 15-2 and 4-0 in the ACC while the Hokies drop to 11-7 and 2-2 in the league.
The Blue Devils swept all three doubles matches to take a 1-0 advantage into singles.
Tech fell in the No. 4, 2 and 3 singles matches as Duke claimed the points to secure the team win. In the No. 4, the 48th-ranked Hanna Mar notched a 6-1, 6-0 win against Courtney Rauscher
. In the No. 2 match, Tech’s Isel Martinez-Marcos
fell to No. 117 Ester Goldfeld, 6-1, 6-1.
The Blue Devils secured the team victory with a 6-3, 6-2 win in the No. 3 match as No. 102 Rachel Kahan defeated Shannon Betts
Tech’s freshman Carol Kahoun
battled in the No. 6 singles against Annie Mulholland, but the Duke player was able to hold off Kahoun in both sets to pick up the 7-5, 7-5 win.
The Hokies will return to the road next weekend, traveling to North Carolina to face Wake Forest
and NC State
. Tech will begin its trip on Saturday, March 31 in a noon match at Wake Forest.
2. #117 Ester Goldfeld (Duke) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) 6-1, 6-1
3. #102 Rachel Kahan (Duke) def. Shannon Betts (VT) 6-3, 6-2
4. #48 Hanna Mar (Duke) def. Courtney Rauscher (VT) 6-1, 6-0
5. #68 Monica Turewicz (Duke) def. Tea Ivanovic
(VT) 6-2, 6-4
6. Annie Mulholland (Duke) def. Carol Kahoun (VT) 7-5, 7-5
1. Capra/Mar (Duke) def. Blakely/Kahoun (VT) 8-3
2. Mary Clayton/Kahan (Duke) def. Betts/Rauscher (VT) 8-3
3. Mulholland/Monica Gorny (Duke) def. Emily Lauten
/Martinez-Marcos (VT) 8-5
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).