NC State outlasts Tech, 4-3
Hokies win doubles point, but Wolfpack answers with four singles wins
| NC State ||4|
| Virginia Tech||3|
RALEIGH, N.C. – The No. 63 Virginia Tech women’s tennis team was edged by NC State, 4-3 on Sunday afternoon at the J.W. Isenhower Tennis Center in Raleigh, N.C. Tech falls to 12-8 and 3-4 in the ACC while State improves to 6-12 overall and 2-5 in the league.
The Hokies took the 1-0 lead after winning two of the three doubles matches. Tech’s Emily Lauten
and Isel Martinez-Marcos
teamed up in the No. 3 to defeat Christy Sipes and Chloe Smith, 8-4.
Tech secured the point with a win in the No. 2 doubles as the duo of Shannon Betts
and Courtney Rauscher
paired up for a 9-8(2) win against Tatiana Illova and Nicole Martinez.
The Hokies took a 2-0 lead after freshman Carol Kahoun
secured a 6-2, 6-1 decision in the No. 5 singles against Sipes. NCSU answered, picking up wins in the No. 1 and 2 singles to tie the match up at 2-2.
State took the lead on the next completed match with a win in the No. 4, but Tech’s Betts tied the match up at 3-3 with a win in the No. 3 singles. Betts defeated Smith, 6-3, 6-4.
The deciding match was the No. 6 singles where the Wolfpack’s Martinez held on for a 7-6(7), 6-2 win against Lauten.
Tech will be back on the court next weekend, hosting Georgia Tech
on Saturday and Clemson on Sunday.
2. Tatiana Illova (NCSU) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) 7-5, 6-1
3. Shannon Betts (VT) def. Chole Smith (NCSU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Ashley Miller (NCSU) def. Courtney Rauscher (VT) 7-6(4), 6-1
5. Carol Kahoun (VT) def. Christy Sipes (NCSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Nicole Martinez (NCSU) def. Emily Lauten (VT) 7-6(7), 6-2
1. Kissell/Miller (NCSU) def. Blakely/Kahoun (VT) 9-7
2. Betts/Rauscher (VT) def. Illova/Martinez (NCSU) 9-8(2)
3. Lauten/Martinez-Marcos (VT) def. Sipes/Smith (NCSU) 8-4
For updates on Virginia Tech women's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_WTennis).